Jewish Weddings

tie dyed chuppah

has anyone done this or seen one? I was thinking of either tie dying a white bedsheet or just ordering a tie dyed tapestry.  FI has already built the base out of bamboo poles.   We were going to use a plain white fabric on top and put some flowers on it but I thought tie dye could look really pretty.  Or will it just look tacky? Your thoughts?

Re: tie dyed chuppah

• edited December 2011

Every summer (at Jew camp) we had a carnival where there was a marriage booth. Essentially the marriage booth was a chuppah that had a tie-dye top. Thinking back to when I was 13, I thought it was cool. If your ceremony is laid back and it fits your personality then sure, why not.

As for the actual tie-dye I'd go for one that was pre-dyed, they always seem to be way nicer than anything I could ever make.

• signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol, a tie dyed chuppah at Jew camp..love it.  I went to Ramah, I don't remember anything  of the sort...
  • edited December 2011
    HAHA, yeah it was def one of those touchy feely Jew camps, tie dye and all!
  • edited December 2011
    i went to "jew camp" too. not ramah, though. we also had this, and the tye dye was used for exactly the same purpose. 

elyse -- where did you go? i went to Modin, its in Belgrade Maine (now) but was in Skowhegan then. 
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we're thinking of doing this too!

either tie-dye or batik maybe with a big heart in the middle.

i have a picture of what we're thinking of, but i can't figure out how to post it....

there are a lot of sites that sell tie-dye sheets or wall hangings...i bet you could custom order one.  i bought this onesie for a friend's baby...we might try something like this:  http://www.sunshinejoy.com/default.asp?Item=92434
  • edited December 2011
    You might want to look in a local hippie type store for tapestries!  What a cute, laid back idea.

We are using my great grandmother's lace tablecloth.  Just not sure how to attach it to the posts. . . .
  • edited December 2011
    definitely no tye dyed chuppahs at Ramah! As far as your chuppah goes, I think the simpler the better.  You don't want to worry about fading or anything like that.  I think the flower idea could be really cool and pretty!  I can't wait!  One week!
  • leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The chuppah I had commissioned for me wasn't tie dyed, it was hand painted on silk, but I have had a few people tell me that they thought it looked a little tie dyed! Take a look at my profile to see it. http://www.theknot.com/profiles/leoraanna/myknot/mybio
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards