Jewish Weddings

diy-ing a chuppah

hi all!

I'm planning on doing alot of things diy for the wedding - chuppah, decorations, flowers, etc. Did anyone else diy? What kind of a time frame did you have?

I'm also debating on what to do for a chuppah design. Right now i'm leaning toward quilting, but also thought about maybe painting or stenciling. What did you all do for your chuppah?

Re: diy-ing a chuppah

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is the one we made.  Instructions can be found at this link.

• silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom made ours. She used a combination of painting and quilting techniques. I know it took her almost the entire year we were engaged working in the evenings. Her one piece of advice is to figure out how you're going to put it up when you are designing it (i.e. where are you getting the poles and how can you hang it so that it doesn't get damaged or torn)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Im not sure what we are doing for chuppah poles at all. But I got an idea today to make a t-shirt quilt to use as our chuppah and then as a wall hanging. My fiance and I were at Jewish camp and BBYO together and have a bunch of other t-shirts that are meaningfull but REALLY should not be a part of the wardrobe anymore.

Also, some people send out quilting squares for their friends to decorate and then have that turned into a chuppah. It's a great idea, but my fiance's dad just got married and did that, so if we did it too it would kind of be over-kill. Plus we have a ton of shirts.

Don't really know how we'd attach it to poles. Maybe have other fabric too and just drape the quilt across the top?

You'd think after thousands of years of Jewish weddings, we'd have an easier time putting up a chuppha, huh??
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I really like the t-shirt idea! If you add material around the border to make the quilt, you can make the equivalent of re-enforced button holes or add tassles that can be tied to the poles.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards