Jewish Weddings
Options

Chuppah Question

Is it offensive for a non-Jewish couple to use something similar to a chuppah for their wedding?  A bride on Ceremony Ideas is getting married in the same room as the reception, and she's looking for something for the ceremony... 

Something similar to a chuppah would be beautiful, but she doesn't want to offend.  I think I've seen Jewish brides recommend this to non-Jews on some of the other boards, but I'm not 100% sure.  In any event, it wouldn't really be a chuppah if the couple's not Jewish, right?

TIA for your responses ;)

And I know you know what they look like, but here's the picture I showed her.  Isn't it gorgeous?

Re: Chuppah Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Many people get married under wedding canopies even if they are not Jewish. I don't have a problem with it, personally.
  • Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it is offensive.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great!  Thank you :)
  • Options
    leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also agree that it is not offensive. I have seen a chuppah type item at many different non-Jewish weddings. The wedding canopy is a very common item. Congrats!
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, if there were any problem at all, it would be avoided by just calling it a canopy rather than a chuppah.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in New Hampshire and I can't find a Chuppah for my daughter's wedding which will be in the spring of 2010.  I am not handy, and don't want to change having the wind blow it over as the ceremony will be outside.  Does anyone know of any vendors in NH that can make a Chuppah?  I've spent numerous hours on the phone, but to no avail.  Thanks.  Mrs. D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, can't say that I do. I'm guessing you don't want to go the florist route to create one.  I'd suggest then just buying the poles and then either using a tallit from a family member (which may be a memorable thing) or ordering one online.  You still have time fortunately to find something. GL.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just responded on another board, but just in case, I'll try here, too.  If you can't find anything closer, Franklin Party Rentals in Franklin, MA has one for rent.  The rental rate was $80 last time I checked, but I have no idea whether it has changed since then.  Here is a picture:

• Options
    amydshermanamydsherman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you haven't found one by now many synagogues have their own. Maybe you can call them? If they don't have one they might know where you can get one. 
    Good luck!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards