Jewish Weddings

judaica poll

What judaica did you register for?  If you are already married, what judaica did you get that you (A) love, (B) wish you could return, and (C) wish you got as a gift but no one bought it for you.

Re: judaica poll

• Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not registering for Judaica items, mainly because some things that I want like the silver candlesticks and  a particular menorah are being given by my family to us... 
  • edited December 2011
    I put some things down for Shabbat, such as a challah plate with knife, challah cover, and candle sticks; some misc like a washing up, and then Passover items - seder plate, matzah plate, etc. 

I loved them all, which is why I asked for them - we didn't ask for too much.  The only things we got were the challah plate, candlesticks, and cover (the the latter two are en route from Israel, so haven't received them yet).  Our rabbi also gave us a lovely mezzuzah.

I'd have loved to have gotten the Passover items as well; think we'll buy the remaining items since we really do want them...
  • leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am registering for Judaica at both local synagogues that I attend. I also did an online registry at a store in Boca Raton, FL that I have been to many times for some things, you can take a look if you want.  <- link
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We have a created a smallish Judaica registry at a local store. We had registered for:

Seder plate
    Kiddush cup (only 1)
    Candle sticks (matched kiddush cup)
    Challah plate
    Challah cover
    Mezzuhas (a few... 1 really nice one and 3 simple ones for in doors)

We already own several menorahs so we opted to pass on that one.

And I think thats it. Fi's parents went to the store after we registered and actually paid for our Ketubah without our knowledge so, eventhough we didn't register for it, it is still a gift from them.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, we're trying to avoid registering for Judaica b/c we already have most of the stuff we use (menorahs, kiddush cups, candlesticks, etc.). The stuff we don't already have,  we have a plan to get (ex. his grandma is giving us her seder plate whenever we have our first seder).  However, she got us a challah board and handmade a challah cover as an engagement present that I LOVE.  And she's also making us a nice Shabbat tablecloth as a wedding gift.  So I'm really looking forward to that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't register for any judaica because I already have quite a bit.  What I don't have we will either be getting passed on to us or we will buy when we're ready (i.e., when I made Seder, as opposed to going to my parents).  We did get some things, like a mezuzah (I probably have 5 of them now) and several menorahs (I must have 12 or 15 of them floating around my house).

The one thing I don't have that I really hoped someone might get us is a nice Tzedakah Box.  In fact, I had really hoped someone would buy one for my daughter when she was born, but, I guess people just don't think to buy that.  I bought one for my nephew when he was Bar Mitzvahed and I think it's a great gift!
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • sari5765sari5765 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered for a bunch of stuff- some of which we received for the engagement. 

- challah covers (we each picked one)
    - matzoh cover/afikomen bag
    - tablecloths (basic yom tov white one that's spill friendly and a gorgeous fancy one for extra special occasions)
    - mayim achronim
    - salt box
    - challah board and knife
    - candlesticks (fancy and travel)
    - havdallah set
    - seder plate
    - kiddush cup (which my sister got us for the engagement and which we'll be using for the ceremony, along with my current "single lady" one)

I had some basic, affordable judaica and she has her own kiddush cup and candlesticks, but we wanted to really have some stuff that was ours together. WE registered at judaism,com.  

check out our wedding blog at http://kellyandsari.com
  • edited December 2011
    we registered for a bunch of judaica on myregistry.com, and got a fair amount, and some doubles.  we registered for a matching seder plate and matzoh plate, kiddush cup, hanukiag, havdallah set, candlesticks, a particularly beautiful glass matzoh plate. 

we received a couple of challah boards and challah covers that we hadn't registered for, which was nice, but now we have approx 3 of these items!

also, because we'd registered for a lot of the judaica online we weren't 100% sure what it would look like in real life. luckily most items looked WAY nicer in real life, and only a couple were hideous (like the seder plate from israel which is actually so cheezy it's almost cool).

we also received a super ugly tzedakah box, modelled after the great synagogue in jerusalem - ugly - but it's from my beloved aunt, so it's definitely a keeper despite  it's shape.  
  • edited December 2011
    we didnt register for judaica items at all. 

mostly because my FI isnt jewish, and although he celebrates holidays with me, and we plan to continue the traditions with our family, his family finds the whole thing upsetting and alienating.  

i understand this because i would feel the same if a family member of mine married someone who was not jewish and decided to convert to their religion. 

so thats about it. we have a lot of our stuff already, and duplicates of some things, so i think we will just amass things together over time. 

http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lynnie - sorry things are tough with your FI's family.  I'm dealing with similar issues with my own family because I'm converting before the wedding. Hope time heals that one, to an extent - that's what I'm banking on with my parents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    lynniearudner- my FI's mother converted and until recently, I never understood why she never made an effort to invite them to Jewish holidays. I can see why my FI felt uncomfortable going to his grandparents' house for Christmas and Easter because it goes against his beliefs with Jesus and all. But I thought that inviting Christians to Passover and other Jewish holidays wasn't asking them to participate in something that went against their beliefs. Afterall, their bible includes the "Old Testament".

My future MIL explained that her Christian family members would never be interested to come to those meals because it would be so foreign to them. Personally, I think it's sad because she and her children didn't spend a lot of time with them while the kids were growing up because of this. I think her sister even gave my FI's sister a cross necklace once during a holiday. But then again, her family are very old fashioned and and small town people.

Hope you and your FI reach a happy medium with his family. What do they find upsetting and alienating. A friend of mine got married recently to her non-Jewish FI and made programs explaining all the Jewish customs.
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we received as gifts the following:

* = item that i actually registered for, most people just picked out judaica on their own, and luckily i love most of the stuff!

2 kiddush cups (one hand made from and israeli artist, the other purchased at bloomingdales i believe).

1 challah board that my SIL bought in Israel

2 challah covers

1 hand washing water pitcher*

2 of those festive gold/silver match boxes (for lighting shabbat / holiday candles)

a few mezuzot*

2 fancy challah knives

1 seder plate

1 apple/honey dish for rosh hashanah*

1 netilat yadayim towel*

1 matzah cover

1 "mazel tov" plate

1 silver dreidle from tiffanys (i don't really understand this, but its pretty...)

shabbos candle sticks (someone gave us a very generous gift certificate to a silver judaica store in brooklyn, so i got to pick out my own, which i was so happy about as they're something i hope to have my entire life).

things i didn't receive that i wish i had and will eventually buy on my own:

tzedakah box
    new havdallah set
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!  We received a challah plate but I forgot about the cover.

My sisters bought us the Shardz glass in blue for FI to break at the ceremony and make into a beautiful kiddush cup.  I'm so excited about it!
  • edited December 2011
    We registered for a bunch of stuff  - we got: a seder plate and patching salt water/charoset dishes, matzo box, kiddush cup for wedding, a set of decorative items that all match - menorah, kiddush cup, candlesticks, silver candlesticks.....the kiddush cup for the ceremony I LOVE and we use it everytime we do something - friday night dinner, Eli's bris.....everything
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards