Jewish Weddings
Options

Rabbi Fee

J and I have decided to have the father of one of my BMs officiate our wedding (he is a Rabbi).  I asked him what his fee was and he told me it was $1000.  This seems awfully high to me.  Am I just unaware of how much Rabbis charge these days?  How much did you pay your Rabbi?
Anniversary

Re: Rabbi Fee

• Options
    edited December 2011
    $700  my sister paid $600.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I paid 800, and we had to pay the Rabbi at our venue even if we were bringing in a different one. 

~Personalized Chuppahs-JamieElaineQuilts.com
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Mine was $500.  If we had wanted a cantor along with the rabbi, we would've had to pay an additional $400, so we went without a cantor.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We paid $400, but apparently that was low, even though that was the original figure he quoted me when we booked him.  Our rabbi was a little on the old side and because of that, everything changed each time we met with him, including his price.  But I only paid what I budgeted for.  We looked into others and they were $600 or more. 
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using my childhood rabbi who is rabbi emeritus at my parents congregation. He doesn't have a set fee and just asks that people make donations to the temple. We are planning on donating $500.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours is a suggested donation of $1200 for non-members, in the Boston area. I agree it seems SO high. We are going to ask the rabbi directly the next time we meet with him. (His secretary is who told us $1200.)
  • Options
    LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I paid $400, but it was 5.5 years ago and my childhood rabbi.

I'm surprised that the father of someone in your bridal party would charge you that much!
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_rabbi-fee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:c3ab2096-e8ba-4989-bcdb-e69147e48065Post:f0a76186-1525-4845-8bbb-245e5f13a22b">Re: Rabbi Fee</a>:
    [QUOTE]I paid $400, but it was 5.5 years ago and my childhood rabbi.<strong> I'm surprised that the father of someone in your bridal party would charge you that much!</strong>
    Posted by LBRM_NJ[/QUOTE]

<div>I know!  He doesn't really do weddings anymore, he retired a few years ago due to health issues.  When I asked him initially what his fee is, he said he would need to ask around to find out what others charge since he hadn't done it in so long.</div><div>
    </div><div>He sent me the price via email and I haven't responded yet, because I am not sure how to reply.  I kinda want to attempt to negotiate a bit, but because he's my BM's father I don't want to upset anyone.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our rabbi and cantor were free because MIL is a member of the temple. Of course she pays thousands of dollars for her membership so it wasn't really "free" but we only had to make a donation after the fact.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are paying $800.  If we used our congregation rabbi it would be "free" and  included in our $1200 yearly dues, but we are getting married on Saturday night and our rabbi doesn't do ceremonies on Saturday even after sundown. We looked around and were quoted anywhere from $750-$1500.

TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "I'm sorry but that's more than we budgeted"...???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rabbis in the the NY/NJ area charge anywhere from $500 - $2500 for weddings.  Some will require pre-marital counseling, others don't.

Expect to pay more if you are having an interfaith wedding, if you are getting married before the end of Shabbat on a Saturday night, or on a day when weddings are traditionally prohibited.

If you want a second officiant, such as a cantor, expect to pay their fee as well (unless you are a member of the congregation).

If you are a member of a congregation, there should be no additional fee because it is generally included in the membership dues.  In this circumstance, a donation to the congregation is customary. Also, some rabbis will not perform a wedding unless you are a member of their congregation. 

It can be a little complicated, but synagogue's have rules and rabbis/cantors know the going rates in their community.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards