Jewish Weddings
Options

DIY Chuppah?

Has anyone made their own Chuppah? We are looking for any pointers you may have! Thanks!

Re: DIY Chuppah?

• Options
    silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom made ours and it's incredible. Aside from the aesthetic questions of what you want it to look like, do a bit of research early on about how you're going to put it up. Does your venue or florist have chuppah poles? How many people are you planning on trying to fit underneath? How are you going to attach it to the poles? I think when we were looking the standard size was 6X6 and we made ours 8x9 and we were able to borrow the poles from the venue. Also, what do you want to do with it afterwards? Who do you want to have help you make it and be dependable? And budgetary questions apply regarding not only getting the chuppah poles but other materials involved (especially fabric) and that super important resource TIME!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to Google "DIY chuppah."  There are lots of ways to do it:

• Mine (picture below and instructions at this link) was built on the frame of a portable popup gazebo.  We live in DC and got married in Massachusetts.  Our chuppah could be folded up and easily transported, and was also easy to set up once we got there.

• This one relies on putting each of the four poles into PVC pipe set into a flowerpot partly filled with concrete for stability.

• This one is based on using a lattice for the ceiling, which stabilizes the whole structure so as to make support for the bottoms of the poles unnecessary.

• This one has a wooden frame at the top, held up by lattices at each of the corners.

• This one has a PVC frame, anchored in concrete.

• This one is based on birch poles put into umbrella stands.

• This one is not free-standing, and would need to be held by four people during the ceremony.  However, it uses bungee cords to attach the four corners of a tallit to the four poles, so that the fabric of the tallit won't get torn if the pole-carriers aren't perfectly in sync.

Hope this helps!

(Click on the photo to see a larger version.)
  • Options
    reebsreebsreebsreebs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using poles that a local artist made that will be held by someone. But the top is being quilted by the mothers. They are asking folks to contribute squares and then sewing them into a large quilt. We will use it as a bedspread or wall hanging in our house when it is done.  There are lots of directions for chuppah quilts on the internet.
  • Options
    leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have 4 long plain white poles that we got from Home Depot and we put them in beautiful umbrella posts like for your patio. They are going to be topped with a beautifully hand painted piece of silk (look at my profile for a pic of it) and we are going to hang hamsas from the four corners that some of our family members and friends are making. Some of my siblings are carrying it in and placing them into the holders and sitting down at the beginning of the ceremony.
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ours worked really well -

we used pvc pipe and created a square at the top, with 3 prong corner joints to attach the legs. the whole things was spray painted matte white and used an large tallis. it was inexpensive, stood on its own, and was super-cute. sorry - no picture yet.

good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    http://edenfloralboutique.com/blog/2010/10/sari-nate/

We created ours by taking large cardboard pipes from home depot, covering them with muslin and spray painting them with a stone finish.  Created a PVC pipe inside with joists, and the ceiling was my great grandmother's table cloth (i'm named after her) Let me know if you have any questions?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards