Jewish Weddings

Chuppah set-up question

We aren't having our sit-down meeting with our rabbi until the first week of December (finally).  We're getting married at our shul but it's unclear what supplies/equipment we have.

So every picture I see, or seem to see, of a chuppah has that small round table and an microphone on a stand for the rabbi to use.  Are these things that my shul has to have, and if it doesn't I'll have to rent?  Money mouth

The table probably would be easy but the microphone another matter.  I wouldn't want him to use a wireless, as then he'll have to put it down when he pours the wine and at a few other times and I'd hate to hear all that feedback.

Planning to meet with the florists within a week after meeting the rabbi, so I hope to know by then what I'll need for the florists to provide and what I'll have to provide.

Thanks.

Re: Chuppah set-up question

• edited December 2011
    We were asked to have candle sticks, two kiddush cups, and kosher wine.
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need 2 kiddush cups, kosher wine (use white, it's safer for your dress), a small table to put them on and a microphone so your guests can hear what's going on... I would also recommend an easel for the ketubah, and you might want a tablecloth.
    Just ask the rabbi, but I'm guessing the synagogue will be able to give you all of the above (the wine you would probably bring in yourself). If you have a videographer, he may want to mic you anyways.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the synagogue is big enough to need a microphone for a wedding, it is big enough so that they will need one for ordinary services, so they will most likely already have one.  In our case, we had a very small ceremony (about a dozen people), and no microphone was necessary.

Our synagogue provided the table and a cloth to cover it, although we ended up putting a gold sash on there just because we liked the look of it.  The synagogue also supplied a menorah.  We had planned to bring wine, and had brought a decanter for the purpose.  However, when we asked the rabbi the day before where we could buy kosher wine in the area, he offered to supply it.  We supplied a kiddush cup, a glass for breaking, and programs (since they contained the text of the ceremony).
  • edited December 2011
    The synagogue has podium set up with microphones set at the podium; I've never seen anything else, wireless or otherwise used, so I am wondering if I'll have to rent one or when the podiums are removed, it the mics can be reorganized in some fashion.

I've got everything else down, I know about the kiddush cups, etc.  I was just curious if any folks had the experience of having to get the rentals and things set up on their own or if their shul happen to have a lot of this stuff already.  I'm hoping there's a small, round table somewhere, but that's a lot easier to get a hold of than the microphone and set up.

And I won't be having a videographer, and if we have musicians, it's not really their responsibility to provide that, though if we need one, I may ask for another microphone and just throw in a few extra dollars for the use.
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm guessing your shul will have all of this stuff, all of the shuls i've been to have.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Does your shul have an office where you could direct these questions?   Our rabbi provided us with a list of things we need for our ceremony (we're not having it at the synagogue, but our rabbi provides the same to those being wed at the synagogue).  The things our rabbi asked as to provide are:

- chuppah;
    - small table for under the chuppah;
    - one bottle of kosher wine -- uncorked;
    - two kiddush cups (or nice wineglasses for use in the cremony (if the kiddush cups have personal meaning or sentimental value, share the info with the rabbi);
    - glass to break during cremony;
    - cloth napkin in whihc to wrap the glass (keepsake glass-breaking kits available in Jewish bookstores);
    - easel to hold the ketubabh if it is framed immediately after it is signed;
    - civil papers from jurisdiction;
    - two witnesses to sign the ketubah (must be Jewish, not related to you, and they both must know their full Hebrew names -- which includes their parents' Hebrew names, where applicable); and
    - your Hebrew names (in the form requested on the Info Sheet you complete and provide us).
  • edited December 2011
    My only issue involved the microphone and the table; I know the other stuff we need for the wedding that we have to get and most ofit is done.  We are meeting with our rabbi tonight but from good friends and other events held there, we're pretty sure our shul doesn't have the microphone set-up I want.  The round table should be okay to secure, even if the shul doesn't have one somewhere in storage (I know we have square ones but I don't want to use those).  So we'll have to research how we can go about renting that and get set up.
  • masteralephmasteraleph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may want to see if your band/DJ can provide that, rather than having to rent one out and set it up yourself (really only works if everything is in the same place, of course).
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to look into that.  Met with the rabbi and the shul hasn't had a wedding there in quite a long time!

We'll be bringing everything and we're going to have the free standing chuppah (from the florist) rather than have poles and holders.  I think they have a table somewhere but if not, getting a small round one shouldn't be a big deal.  But I know for a fact they have no portable mics - the podiums used have mics set up on them but it wouldn't do for the wedding.

We are going to have musicians play processional music, so I'm going to check with them to get a mic and stand, even if it's an extra fee it'll be worth it.  While we don't have a ton of people, the accoustics aren't such that someone sitting halfway down the aisle would be able to hear what's going on and I don't want the rabbi to shout (after a morning of fasting, a shouting ceremony would suck, lol).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards