Jewish Weddings

Introduction/Dress

Hi All,

I posted a few weeks ago, but felt I should write to introduce myself to everyone. I'm a very new knottie and only got engaged about three weeks ago.

A little about myself....I grew up in Upstate New York, went to university in Buffalo, worked for Hillel at another university in New York, then move to Boston after graduation where I have worked in Marketing ever since.

In Dec/Jan 2009, I went toI srael during my winter break from my MBA program, to study at a women's seminary in Jerusalem. A classmate invited me to the kotel tunnel tours where I met my beshert. The only problem was he was Australian by way of South Africa.

Fast forward to today, we have been together for over two years, have taken many long distance trips between Melbourne and Boston, I lived there for a year, he lived here for three months. Finally we decided to settle in Australia to start our life together. We got engaged April 2nd in Australia.

Our wedding will be in Florida. My grandparents are ill and cannot travel, plus his Aunt/Uncle/Cousins live there. I also want to get married as soon as possible, but his twin siblings are still in college and don't get a break until end of the November.

Therefore, I finally set a date this weekend 1/8/12. This is our three year anniversary of meeting at Kotel in Jerusalem.

I am still in the mist of finding a venue/caterer/photographer/band and all that good stuff in Florida. I am planning a very traditional jewish wedding, rich with the customs of our culture.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I look forward to being part of this board.

One question to start with, the dress - I need a modest dress, it can be lace/see-through up top, but must be 3/4 sleeves.   Does anyone have any suggestions for me of where to go? I am in Boston now, but go to NYC quite frequently.

J

Re: Introduction/Dress

• LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mazel Tov!!! 

There is a saleswoman at Kleinfeld's who specializes in modest, religious-appropriate dresses.  Also, many dresses can have sleeves added to them.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Jewish Weddings Board!

I will add you to my weekly weddings/anniversaries list?  Where in FL are you getting married?
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome!  There are a few bridal lines that will adjust necklines and sleeves to accomodate religious needs.  Jasmine Bridal is one.  There's a link on the menu called "Temple Ready" that you can play around with.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!

If you're shopping in Boston there's always Priscilla's (budget beware) and they can do custom tops/add sleeves to most dresses. There's VOWS in Newton which has designer dresses for less and has several options with lace bolleros.

In NH, there's Mary and Tux which has a fantastic selection of dresses at great prices.

As well, you can have a good seamstress make a lace bollero fairly easily. My seamstress, Chris O'Hare was AMAZING and can do anything you can imagine to a dress/bolero/veil.

Let me know if you'd like her contact info.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations!

I haven't found a location yet as I'm not able to get down to Florida until the third weekend in May. 

I've been doing alot of online searches and so far have found two locations with kosher catering, but still on the hunt.

The hardest part is my finance (what is the acronym here?) is in Australia - so it's just me and my parents which is hard.
  • Flagstones925Flagstones925 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in the Boston area, but since my mom and sisters live in NJ, I bought my dress there so I can't recommend any local places. My wedding dress had low cleavage, so I had that lifted and fixed. In addition, I had a Belaro jacket made to wear during the ceremony of the same material as my dress with lace sleeves that go just past my elbows. The Belaro jacket can be any length you want and made from any material. Just mention when you are trying on dresses that you want to have a Belaro jacket made, they should be accomodating. Good luck! :)
    Anniversary
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_introductiondress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:f3cfb0d4-c8c1-4829-a915-70812f39e9edPost:64fb90c6-72e1-417a-adc6-88abd9687445">Re: Introduction/Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the recommendations! I haven't found a location yet as I'm not able to get down to Florida until the third weekend in May.  I've been doing alot of online searches and so far have found two locations with kosher catering, but still on the hunt. <strong>The hardest part is my finance (what is the acronym here?) is in Australia - so it's just me and my parents which is hard.
    </strong>Posted by SecretAgentJAH[/QUOTE]

FI=fiance
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at david's bridal and they have a selection of boleros and shawls you can buy to wear with your dress. DB has a great selection of dresses and is not pricey at all.

I just had my second dress fitting on wednesday and needed something just to cover my shoulders during the ceremony. My seamstress showed me a shawl, short bolero and little caps (which are usually used to make straps for strapless dresses).

I chose the short bolero. There is also a long one they have that you can see here...

• BunniKakesBunniKakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Angst over this was half the reason I decided to go with a custom dress. I got to have a (heavy) hand in designing my dress and was able to get the modest, classic look I wanted. I used a very well known designer - you've seen her on television and she's had shows at NYFW - and the cost still came out to what I would have paid for something from a bridal salon after all of the alterations. It might be worth considering.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ucfandreaucfandrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in SoFL (and a native) and am happy to help you with some vendor recommendations...where are you looking?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards