Jewish Weddings

chuppah

I am wondering if the 4 poles of the chuppah are required? I am getting married in a very open space with floor to cieling windows, and I was thinking it would be creative and interesting to just have the chuppah suspended over us (hung from the ceiling) so that it is more open. Is that acceptable or are 4 "poles" necessary?

Re: chuppah

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think that should be okay, sounds pretty!  I'd check with your Rabbi to be sure!
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the chuppah represents your future home together, so unless you plan on just having a ceiling with no walls i would say this is not a good idea
    Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • reebsreebsreebsreebs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_chuppah?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:ff110d9a-f65b-4ebe-ace7-8d355fe59120Post:8d9cacae-3145-428c-af6a-c671ee374d21">Re: chuppah</a>:
    [QUOTE]the chuppah represents your future home together, so unless you plan on just having a ceiling with no walls i would say this is not a good idea
    Posted by Jami86e[/QUOTE]

It does represent the future home, but the chuppah never has walls. That's often cited as the reason for the circling-- that you are builiding walls.

I think chuppah is minhag (custom) not halacha (law) so you can do as you wish with it-- but check with your rabbi.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it will be fine! 

• edited December 2011
    Ask your rabbi. My childhood rabbi would think that was brillant but my current rabbi would look at me like I had 2 heads.
    Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto; to me, sounds like a great idea and how you want to have it set up is more tradition.  But if your rabbi would have an issue with it, then try to come up with a workable solution.  Remember, it's still your day and unless somethings goes against law, if you feel strongly about wanting something then have a stern convo over it.

My rabbi and I clashed on a few things and I calmly explained why I wanted to do something a certain way, was able to point to various instances where I saw X occur, and reiterated that what I wanted wasn't in contravention of Jewish law.

GL.
  • edited December 2011
    maybe you could suspend it but create "poles" out of something else, ribbons, flowers, vines?

could be interesting

i'm sure my rabbi would have a fit, but i'm getting married in a MO synagogue...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards