June 2012 Weddings
Options

Mama Drama

Oh my Mom is at it again. She is so excited about the wedding its getting out of hand and stressing me out. Any advise on how to get her to calm down would be so helpful. I am leaving out a ton of other crap to keep this short this is just today's occurrence.

The latest episode is she has emailed everyone on the guest list she knows to "remind them about the wedding." They all got a STD and the invites have not been mailed yet so it is not time to RSVP yet. So a couple of people who know my Mom is crazy are emailing me about the reminder and think its funny. ok whatever....then my others mainly my cousins are emailing me about being pressured into coming. Most live way far away and didn't expect them to come anyway and my Mom knows that. I don't even know what to tell them besides it's ok no worries. I have tried to tell her to not email or message anyone on Facebook then she gets her feelings hurt and cries that I don't appreciate her help. It's completely unnecessary stress. 

Re: Mama Drama

• Options
    Who's paying? If she's helping she gets some say but she is out of line. I'd sit down and tell her you're glad she's excited but can't force people to come and invites will go out on x date.
  • Options
    Dang it my post got eaten but who knows if it'll pop back up Is she paying or contributing anything? If she is she gets some input but I would just sit down and have a heart to heart and tell her concerns you're getting
  • Options
    That sounds like a tough situation.  Maybe find something else that she can "help" with that you don't care much about?  Giving her a specific task will make her stop focusing her attention on bad things.
  • Options
    Wow.... that is REALLY over the line. She needs to take a chill pill. I would sit down with her and talk it over with her. Explain that you know she has the best of intentions, but its not coming off that way. It is coming off as invasive and pushy. Can you give her some DIY projects to keep her occupied so she can channell that energy into something productive? Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_mama-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:0882a09e-5456-401a-af30-a8645297022dPost:36f32a13-04ac-44fc-b14f-468827b626d8">Re: Mama Drama</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sounds like a tough situation.  Maybe find something else that she can "help" with that you don't care much about?  Giving her a specific task will make her stop focusing her attention on bad things.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this! Maybe you can find something else that she can help with so that she feels needed and included.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 309 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 125 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are driving me crazy!
  • Options
    We are splitting the cost and my FI and I are paying as much as possible b/c of a previous incident where she said she wouldn't pay if she didn't get her way. To make a long story short I called her bluff and told her I didn't want a big wedding and would not have one so we would just go the courthouse and be done. That standoff got my Dad involved so he called a truce and promised to pay their part and told her not to do that again. He did tell me he did not think I was being unreasonable. For the sake of their relationship he's trying to stay out of it as much as possible.

She is rather crafty and is going to do some projects but said I will wait to do them closer since they are tissue paper and they want them to get dusty or limp from the humidity. So I just need to find some other things for her to do to keep her busy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards