June 2012 Weddings

Registry

So my co worker was printing out one of my registries and all of a sudden i felt really embarrassed. here's why: we are having a huge wedding ( nointentional but FI's family is huge) and we only registered for target and bed, bathandbeyond bc FI's family lives out in the country and target is the only store fairly close and i just love bbb and feel like its sensible items for wedding gifts that we need. We aren't  name brand type of people or need all these fancy stuff. anyways, i let my FI be incharge of the gun thingy when we were registering and at bbb he registered for over 500 things. We did register for the same things on both target and bbb registeries just in case some people have one store but not the other close by and ( 90% of our gifts so far have come from target which leads alot left on bbb registry). anyways, back to my coworker, she was printing out the bbb and of course it was A LOT!! I don't know why i felt embarrassed but i did. We both are starting from scratch with living together so we don't have alot now so we pretty much need to furnish everything and also when we were filling out the registery at bbb the employee said that we need to register for the number of invites we are sending multiply by 3 ( if that makes any sense).

has anyone else ever felt embarrassed about how many gifts on their registry?

Re: Registry

• I certainly have and I have figured out ways to lessen the load. I just register for sets instead of individual items.

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I wouldn't be embarrassed - you are starting out and you gave a huge variety, which I assume is a nice variety in prices, too. I have seen a ton of registries where the cheapest gift was $100.. and that wasn't in budget for me so I opted to give them cash. I had 300 items (and we've lived together for years) and still had people say there wasn't much on there (?!). If someone asks, just tell 'em FI was excited to get the gun and play with it lol.

My FI registered for dog food, cheerios, a thing of vitamins, toilet paper, and kids boxers, in purple, size small (we have no kiddos). He got bored and wanted to make people laugh. He's crazy lol
  • Someone commented to my mom that our registries are big, but its a big wedding and we are truly just starting out so there is a lot we need. I wouldn't be embarrassed! You gave people options- its not like you assigned someone to certain gifts.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would clean up your duplicates. As long as there is enough stuff on both registries, you don't need 2 of everything. The guest is already going to go out of their way to buy you the gift, don't make it a waste of their time by returning half your gifts b/c you got two.

I also feel bad about mine, they aren't realy big but most stuff is either super cheap or really expensive. I hope people go in together and get the big ticket items. I just felt weird registering for a $10 can opener that I could just buy myself.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had a little hard time with mine. I'm just the kind of a person who doesn't like to ask for things in general. and I understand that a registry isn't me asking for stuff, but rather helping people select something that will not go to waste...but I felt awkward as well. so what I did, I split my registry between BB&B and Target. I registered for about 45 items total (some are sets), we had sent out 20 invites (45 people expected to show up). and I made sure that I cover a wide price range. my main thing was not being able to bring myself to register for some of the more expensive items. I left the stand mixer off the registry, because I just couldn't... even though it would really help my arthritis hands as I would use it a LOT.
    I feel like if you're starting from scratch, it is okay to register for many items. I'd clear off the duplicates (if it has been bought from one registry, take it off the other) and just make sure that there is a good price range.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bee&beebee&bee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I feel you there too, our registry was about 300 items, we only registered at BBB.  We invited about 280 ppl to the wedding.  We too are starting from nothing so needed everything!  But we have every price range on there so no one would feel obigated to buy something expensive.  I don't feel bad at all since I know we need everything and it will all be used all the time.  Don't feel embarassed at all. :o)
  • I had a hard time with registries too. I tried to do a variety of things between expensive and cheaper to give options and didn't want anyone who was financially stressed to feel uncomforatable, I already had one bridal shower guest apologize for not getting me much. I felt bad that she did that too. I told her I loved the gift and had the perfect place for it. I tried not to do to many duplicates but the things that were duplicate at different stores was things I could use more than one of, like pots, pans, glass sets and stuff like that. Could always use those. I wouldn't feel bad if you are happy with what you chose and would be happy to get them for gifts. No one is obligated to buy a certain item, its just guidance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards