June 2012 Weddings

I should have listened! -vent-

I should have listened to the warnings of the difficulty in working with family.

My dad's cousin offered to do flowers for us before my FI and I were even engaged. She does lovely work and she has done weddings before but I have learned that her business practices ...suck. We got an original estimate back in about August and since then I have made some minor changes---swapping out one of the expensive flowers for a more budget friendly one, and adding 2 boutonnieres for the musicians. Nothing major. However, she never let me know about the changes in my estimate until I finally asked a few weeks ago for an update in the estimate.

Yesterday she sent me a "Final Invoice" (instead of an updated estimate) and the total price had increased. I was kind of irritated because I wasn't expecting a final invoice... as she had not given me a date for a final number for the centerpieces. But I started looking over it anyways and saw that she had centerpieces for 4 more tables than we need. So I let her know that we got final numbers for the wedding and we would be needing 4 less tables. (Each table had 6 vases with flowers, so that would be 24 vases... what I thought should be a visible price difference.)

Today I got an email with a new invoice and a note of "why didn't you tell me about these 4 tables when you knew I was doing the invoice?" (I didn't know you were doing a final invoice...) and "Because of these changes and that this is your 4th invoice I will have to add a change of invoice fee." So the new "final invoice" comes back EVEN MORE expensive even after removing the extra 4 tables....

First of all... this was the FIRST (unexpected) invoice, and then the SECOND invoice updating final numbers. I asked if she had it in her contract that she would charge to change invoices, especially since it was just to update numbers.

It's NOT in her contract but she is charging us anyway, and threw in some bashing on me about how no one else she's ever worked with has changed their flowers 4 times (which as stated before, is NOT true... it was once... with adding 2 bouts and then giving a final table count). It was just RUDE... I don't care what business you are in... you don't bash your customer (to their face... wait until they leave at least!). I wasn't expecting her to do the flowers for free by any means and we are actually paying more than we want to... and even more with her new arbitrary price increases.... but sheesh.

I wanted to tell her to keep the deposit and we'd find someone else or do it ourself but my mom doesn't want to start a rift in the family. So. Irritated. My dad said he would call after the wedding and let her know that as a business person it IS her responsibility to keep her client updated and if she knows they are trying to cut costs to HELP them do it. Also, being more clear with dates and sticking to her contract.

Uff sorry this rant was so long. Conclusion: Don't be like me. Be leery of hiring family. Even when they initially seem super willing to help you.
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I should have listened! -vent-

• If she does the same thing with non-family member customers I'm surprised she's still in business!  Good luck and I hope this all works out for you!
  • That's awful. No business person should charge you for their mistakes. If it wasn't a family member you could easily point out the things she's doing wrong, but as a family member... eek. Sorry you have to deal with this. 

Perhaps in the future you should talk to her over the phone or in person.
  • LambbopLambbop member
    First Comment

Thanks for listening and the well wishes. I just hope the next time I see a flower I don't get instantly angry!

Moonlight,
    Unfortunately I couldn't just say "hey lets have a coffee and talk about this budget." She lives out of town. We initially had our consultations by phone and instant messaging so I could talk to her while sending pictures of what I wanted and vice versa. It always felt like we were on the same page.  

The emails from yesterday and today were just to send the Invoices. I did call her after the second "Invoice" to point out that charging a fee to change invoices doesn't make sense to me and my parents... because of the final number thing. She even stopped to ask me "Are you upset?" because.. I'll be honest, there were some tears of frustration on my side of the phone. But that's when she just got super defensive and started insulting me. So... unfortunately phone didn't help today  :-(

• I'm sorry!! We had florist troubles too and we ended up get walking and forgoing the substantial deposity we'd paid. It sucks that your mom still wants to work with her...have you told her that she keeps increasing the price every time she sends you an invoice!? That's ridiculous. Family discount!? 
  • I would be furious too! I almost let my step brother DJ for us and thank goodness my FI talked me out of it before we got to far in. He is good with music and stuff but about a week ago he wasn't even sure if he would make it to the wedding because he had to do jail time for a DUI!!! All I could do was let out a huge sigh of relief that he was NOT the DJ.

So sorry for you having to deal with that, you would think with family it would be more reasonable and she would waive the "invoice fee" I have NEVER even heard of such a thing.

• I'm sorry. I have never heard of an invoice fee before. Can you talk to her about it?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Wait, so she OFFERED to let you pay her for her florist services? Holy cow... I own my own business and I would never be like 'hey... we are family so i'm offering to let you hire me as your photographer". It seems she is being ridiculous because A.) It's family and B.) 'Invoice fees' are not a real thing, at least not that I have heard of. You need to be stern and tell her you aren't paying it because it wasn't in the contract. So ridiculous!
    Married 6/23/2012 Photobucket
  • LambbopLambbop member
    First Comment
    Good golly, she called me last night because she wanted to "work this out." What she really meant was that she wanted to explain to me again why she is charging me extra and when I pointed out that it is not in her contract and she can't expect regualar non-family member clients to pay it--she said that she's charged this fee to other people before!! AND she said that she's being lenient anyway because her contract states payment is due in full 30 days prior to the wedding. She didn't even get me the Invoice until 24 days before the wedding.... seriously. I also never got a copy of the contract because she "assumed you'd make a copy before you sent it back to me." NONE of my vendors have asked me to make my own copy. 

I soooooo want to fire her and tell her she can just come to the wedding as a guest, but my parents want to keep the peace in the family and they just offered to pay her stupid floral bill because it is so close and I made it clear that I certainly am not giving her any of my and FI's money at this point! 

At least we know the flowers will look nice despite her crooked business practices. My mom also mentioned that she would appreciate it if I didn't tell the full story to the family but I am NOT making that promise. I will definitely warn anyone else in the family if they are considering using her for their wedding. I've been looking for places to review her business online to warn others too. I seriously hope someone takes her to small claims court one of these days if she pulls the same BS with them. And if it's just something she pulls with family... I might just tell my crazy FMIL all about this issue and then point out the florist. FMIL goes fully mama bear at the drop of a hat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards