June 2012 Weddings
Options

Contract Please!!

We have decided to use a family friend (who also does flowers for events as a business) to be our florist. After I got engaged and we decided on a CA wedding (we live in OR, but its my home town) my mom and I met with her to talk about ideas. We met with a few other people as well, but she seemed to understand the idea and the most willing to make things happen how I wanted.

My concern is that there is no contract, no deposit has been put down. IMO, we don't actually have a florist yet. My mom thinks I'm crazy and thinks it would be rude to ask for a contract and hash everything out. Mom spoke to the florist last night (since she hadn't responded to my emails in a month) and found out everything was fine, the florist had just been busy. She is planning on getting everything nailed down in April when my FI and I go visit.

Am I crazy to be uncomfortable that we have nothing in writing?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Contract Please!!

• Options
    I would be freaking out personally, but if you mom talked to her and she said everything is fine I would just take her word for it.
  • Options
    We dont have a contract with our florist either... we are in a small town and contracts just arent the norm here. We also dont have a contract for our caterer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2012
    Get it in writing. Abso-friggin-lutely. It protects her as well as you. If she does flowers as a business, then she should be used to having contracts. Leave your mom out of the discussion and speak to the florist as you would any other vendor.
  • Options
    I would get it in writing. My doc bailed on me & she was a friend who does it for a living! I would just explain to the lady that you are not comfortable without one. My dj had never signed a contract in 20 years but he did for me. 

Let her know you are not trying to offend her but things happen & you do not want to be left in the cold if something like that does happen. It probably won't but......... at least write one up so it states what you are getting done/how much & if they are delivering what time. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I don't have a contract for our DJ or cake baker, close family friends, and I'm not worried about it at all. That being said, if you're worried, I would get one.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_contract-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:1a507e6a-9c5a-43a4-a975-d4eefae7c16ePost:b91dc96c-9eac-4b95-a3f6-1987678184b3">Re: Contract Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have a contract for our DJ or cake baker, close family friends, and I'm not worried about it at all. That being said, if you're worried, I would get one.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Thats right! We dont have one for our cake baker either.... or our RD caterer.... or our DOC. Contracts are not the norm around here!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I feel like I need a contract for everything; I don't think its bad to ask for one especially if you're uncomfortable.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    The contract will save your butt (and probably your relationship with this person) in the long run.  It clearly lays out what both of you expect out of this, that way if something goes wrong, there won't be any finger pointing or he said/she said.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_contract-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:1a507e6a-9c5a-43a4-a975-d4eefae7c16ePost:c1b6b445-835b-4a23-a81c-df3d84485c1f">Re: Contract Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We dont have a contract with our florist either... we are in a small town and contracts just arent the norm here. We also dont have a contract for our caterer.
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    My cousin in my florist so there's no contract. I think since it was just Valentines give yours a few days to slow down send your requirements in an email and have her reply to confirm that she's going do whats included. Emails generally are binding when confirmed, then at least its in writing to refer back to.
  • Options
    Our contract with just the quote that our florist gave us and then we sent them a $300 deposit. Has she give y'all a quote with a breakdown of the flowers that y'all can both sign? I would be nervous too.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Thanks everyone. We are "meeting" with her this weekend over the phone when my parents up here visiting. I will suggest something in writing again and see how it goes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My uncle is our baker and we don't have a contract and one of our friend's is the officiant which we also don't have a contract for.  With them I'm not worried about it but if you are worried at all I would definitely write something up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards