June 2012 Weddings

Ceremony Start Time

Here is the background....we are having a heavy hor d'ouevres reception immediately following the ceremony. We are going to specifically say on the invitations that it will be a "Light Hor'Douvres reception.

The current plan is to have the ceremony at 6:30PM (on 06/30..thats why we picked this time) but we are wondering if that is too close to dinner. We are going to have a lot of food, but we dont want people to show up expecting dinner. We will have it on an insert in inviations, but it still worries me. My mom and I were talking last night about pushing it back to 7PM.

What do you ladies think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ceremony Start Time

• I think you should keep it.... that's a cool idea.
    As long as you let people know.. and it sounds like you are.
  • I think if you were to move the ceremony back I would be more expectant of a full dinner? Maybe I am the minority with that but I say keep it.
    June 16, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ceremony-start-time-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:20143f9d-3de3-4974-93c1-c96abc08a935Post:6ec04c63-be6c-4e04-a4e6-17ac8beace51">Re: Ceremony Start Time</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if you were to move the ceremony back I would be more expectant of a full dinner? Maybe I am the minority with that but I say keep it.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

Dinner in MN is at 6PM sharp.... so if it was 7 I know people wouldn't think there was a full dinner after the ceremony.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think as long as there will be enough food for people to feel full, the time doesn't really matter. Most weddings I have been to, there have been so many apps and they were so good, I wasn't even hungry when the sit down dinner started! 

If you were just doing cheese & crackers and a veggie tray, I might be concerned about the time. But it sounds like there will be plenty of food and you are alerting your guests.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ceremony-start-time-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:20143f9d-3de3-4974-93c1-c96abc08a935Post:00c70ae6-f43c-403c-9a9f-51da2b9ed164">Re: Ceremony Start Time</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony Start Time : Dinner in MN is at 6PM sharp.... so if it was 7 I know people wouldn't think there was a full dinner after the ceremony.
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't know there was like a set dinner time certain places. Geeze where I live we eat anywhere from 4 to 10:30 (which is when FI and I ate last night lol). I think you are good though Chels since you are telling them it's hor dourves.
    June 16, 2012
  • I think since you are telling people it's light hor dourves only and having it after dinner time you should be fine.  Worst case scenario I could see would be people are still hungry so after all the highlights of the reception they'd just leave.
  • We are doing Hor'Douvres as well and our ceremony time is 3pm. We picked that time for several reasons. It is after lunch but before dinner.  Also, our wedding is a couple of hours from where a lot of our guests will be coming from and we didn't want them to feel pressured to have to rent a room or feel like they have to leave the wedding early to be able to get home at a decent time.  I agree with PPs.  Since you are telling them what you are serving, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 309 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 125 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are driving me crazy!
  • I think 6:30 is fine.  That is interesting about dinner always being at 6pm in MN.  I dated a guy from MN once, although never visited the state.
    imageimage
  • I think its fine since you are saying hor'douvres.   that should tell them.  plus if it is heavy hordouvres thats probably enough food for the few that didnt read the invite.  imo
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards