June 2012 Weddings

In your social circle....

Re: In your social circle....

• meg65meg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Getting married, and getting pregnant!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I attended approximately 10 weddings last year, 1 at home reception this year and 1 wedding next Friday. As far as family is concerned, there's only 4 cousins from my mom's side (youngest of 10) left after me to get married.

Then we'll start on the cousin's kids and I'll officially be old.
  • All of my college friends except one are already married.... 1 has 1 baby and 1 on the way and another has her first baby on the way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_in-your-social-circle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:31670f5a-93a0-40dc-b98d-7d108001c688Post:c0f31c82-eadf-47ed-9473-7076c6345a5b">Re: In your social circle....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I attended approximately 10 weddings last year, 1 at home reception this year and 1 wedding next Friday. As far as family is concerned, there's only 4 cousins from my mom's side (youngest of 10) left after me to get married. Then we'll start on the cousin's kids and I'll officially be old.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Holy crap that's a lot of weddings in a year! 
  • My college friends and I laugh because there is a picture of us girls (10 of us) on spring break our freshmen year and all but one of us is married/getting married! That seems really unusual!!

We attended 9 weddings last summer, and are attending 6 this year! It;s marriage madness around here.
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • All my friends are already married and most of them are in the pregnant/newborn stage.

However amongst my coworkers/people in my position I will be one of the few people who are married. My job just isn't very family/relationship friendly-some shows actually have purposely only hired single people or those without children because single people tend to be available to work longer hours.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_in-your-social-circle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:31670f5a-93a0-40dc-b98d-7d108001c688Post:ebb5fee9-b343-4272-a7a6-82433a65cdb7">Re: In your social circle....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In your social circle.... : Holy crap that's a lot of weddings in a year! 
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

Big family, lots of friends. All around the same age. lol It's one of the reasons we didn't get married last year. Too much else going on.
  • In the last 2 years, approximately 8 of my friends got married (2010-2011 were extremely expensive) and 4 of them are having babies!

My friend is getting married in August, another good friend (and next door neighbor) is getting married in September and another friend's baby is due in November. Yet another friend's baby is only 4 weeks old.

I'm wondering how many babies will be in our circle next year. We are anticipating 3 more weddings in 2013...

Vacation White Knot
  • I'm one of the first I know to get married. Some of my friends are in long term relationships, and others are still casually dating.

On a related note, that's one of the hardest parts about being a young mom - it can be lonely. I personally had no one to relate with because I didn't know anyone else with a baby. Nobody wants to be "that girl" who only talks about her babies when everyone else is talking about university, boys, and gossip.

I don't have anyone to relate wedding talk to either, but I've found it SO much easier than going through the "baby stages" alone. My sister will tolerate wedding chatter enough to satisfy my craving though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Most of my friends are a few years older than I am (as is FI). This will be FI second marriage, and all of his friends have been married for a long time (I usually hang out with people from 28-45.. I'm 24) so they're in a different part in their lives. Most are having their second kids already, some on their third. I'm the baby of our group :)
  • I'm in the middle. It really depends on what social circle of mine you are looking.
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Amongst my college friends I'm the last one to marry and will be the last to have kiddo's. Amongst my church friends I was the last and then we had a new group of single gf's join our crew about 3 years ago and I'm actually the first among this new addition.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is why I'm soo glad that about half of my friends have children or one on the way and the other half are childless couples so until we have our first little one we'll be covered on both fronts. Our first friends to have a baby went through this though so we tried to make them feel included. And I love kids so that was easy!! Glad you're not going through the marriage stages alone!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_in-your-social-circle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:31670f5a-93a0-40dc-b98d-7d108001c688Post:bd17b632-244d-4f4e-8561-3b56ad851e2f">Re: In your social circle....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm one of the first I know to get married. Some of my friends are in long term relationships, and others are still casually dating. <strong>On a related note, that's one of the hardest parts about being a young mom - it can be lonely. I personally had no one to relate with because I didn't know anyone else with a baby. Nobody wants to be "that girl" who only talks about her babies when everyone else is talking about university, boys, and gossip.</strong> I don't have anyone to relate wedding talk to either, but I've found it SO much easier than going through the "baby stages" alone. My sister will tolerate wedding chatter enough to satisfy my craving though :)
    Posted by rasp.berry[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm graduating college in May so I am definitely the very first of any of my friends to get married. I think I'm also they only one engaged at this point. Most of them probably won't join the married life for another 3 to 4 years so I have a while before wedding craziness happens.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_in-your-social-circle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:31670f5a-93a0-40dc-b98d-7d108001c688Post:69767b2f-fc58-4098-bedd-ea3e11a3ee32">Re: In your social circle....</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is why I'm soo glad that about half of my friends have children or one on the way and the other half are childless couples so until we have our first little one we'll be covered on both fronts. Our first friends to have a baby went through this though so we tried to make them feel included. And I love kids so that was easy!! Glad you're not going through the marriage stages alone!! In Response to Re: In your social circle.... :
    Posted by Elizabeth80[/QUOTE]

It's not as isolating now because they're a bit older (5 and 3.5) so it's easier to go out places with them... for a while there, I could barely survive the grocery store with the 2 of them in tow! My life is crazy hectic enough as it is (I was just complaining to FI that I haven't had an hour to myself that I didn't have something that needed to be done), so we are DONE having babies!!

On a more positive note, the BEST part of being a young mom is that by the time I'm 40, they'll (hopefully lol) be off to university or leading their own lives. I love them dearly, but I won't lie - I did a little dance of joy inside when I realized our oldest is about a 1/4 of the way to self-sufficiency!!! (he turns 5 next week)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Proudly, one of the last.  Alot of my friends have older children and I'm not even sure I want kids.  I'm glad we're older because instead of relying on my parents to buy everything, I can spend my money on things I really want and incorporate my style without having to worry about breaking their budget. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_in-your-social-circle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:31670f5a-93a0-40dc-b98d-7d108001c688Post:12504bab-a8e8-45a6-b03c-9734371dfe66">Re: In your social circle....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in the middle. It really depends on what social circle of mine you are looking.
    Posted by HarperBargo[/QUOTE]

this applies to me as well. I have some friends who are married and pregant and married and just had kids. then there are some friends who are just dating and no where near marriage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Some girls from my HS are married with babies, but I'm one of the first of my college friends. I don't think many are far behind =)
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Except for two older cousins, I am the first on both sides of my family to get married. Most of my friends are also not married. On FI's side, he's the baby in the family so technically he's one of the last. His best friend back home just eloped last week and his sister is getting married right after us, so it's sort of all at once now. 
  • I'm kinda in the middle.  About half of my friends are married and about half are engaged, dating, or single.  Only a few of my married friends have kids.
  • It depends on the circle.  With my college friends I am in the middle of the second wave.  If we move to my older friends I am one of the last ones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 203 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 61 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • We attended 2 weddings in 2010, 1 last year ,and so far 2 this year.  There are quit a few girls I go to school with who are getting married this year: May 6, May 19, June 2, ours June 22, July 6, July 21, July 28, October 6, and October 21.  I'm so excited to see everyone's wedding pictures!
  • I'm one of the first. I have a couple of married friends, but most are not married or engaged.
    Photobucket
  • Other?

With our college couple friends, FI and I are younger than most (which comes with being in a sorority and fraternity - you get to know people who are older than you), and we're some of the last to get married within that social circle.

With my specific friends from college I'm only the second one to get married and I'm the first with my high school friends, but I'm pretty sure 3 of them will be engaged before the end of the year. It's really just starting to be that time in our life. We've been/will be invited to 7 weddings this year besides our own.
  • I feel like many people of my generation are choosing not to marry. Or maybe not just yet. But everyone is having babies! Babies everywhere! I'm getting baby jealous. I've wanted one since I was 16 haha...I'm just responsible enough to wait until I can support it too. Not to say that my friends can't so it's okay. I like babies
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_in-your-social-circle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:31670f5a-93a0-40dc-b98d-7d108001c688Post:12504bab-a8e8-45a6-b03c-9734371dfe66">Re: In your social circle....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in the middle. It really depends on what social circle of mine you are looking.
    Posted by HarperBargo[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this. I'm one of the last to get married within my Christian circle of friends (mostly from junior high and high school), and one of the first of my non-Christian (university and swimming) friends.</div>
  • In our close circle, we are on the leading edge. 1 couple got married 3 years ago, 1 couple got engaged after us.   The rest are all single!  We have those 2 couples and 1 other couple in our wedding party.  People keep commenting how weird it is that we have 3 couples in our WP.
    Anniversary
  • We're p;retty much the last to get married & have babies! We do have a  6 month old though :) Most of our friends are on their 2nd children!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards