June 2012 Weddings

teachers- nwr update

So I posted at the end of last week about having an interview for a job, but the job not being in the "ideal" location.. Well, I was offered the job! Great! However, I asked if I could have some time to think it over, and was told that they really need to know by this Friday. I am so torn, as I applied for a job in the location we really want to be in literally the day before this place called for an interview. The other place doesn't have a closing date until June 11th. What should I do? Should I sign and possibly break contract? Should I sign and stick it out? Should I decline and hope to get my foot in the door when the other place does finally start calling for interviews? I am stuck, and have to decide asap!

Re: teachers- nwr update

• jaime10285jaime10285 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Honestly, take the position. I was in a similar position with a teaching job and an aide job. The aide job wanted me first and I was waiting to hear about the teaching job. I finally decided I just needed a job since it was August and took the aide job. The teaching job didn't end up offering me the position. I was an aide for a year and then a 3rd grade position opened in that school and I got it. I'm finishing my third year of teaching now. In this economy, take what you can get. There are hundreds of candidates applying for each position.
    Anniversary
  • I agree, take it.  I wouldn't gamble in this economy if I were you.

Congrats on the offer! What is the position again?
  • I agree, take it!  There's no guarantee you'll be offered that other position, and I'm sure you'd rather have a job rather than no job when it's all said and done.  Congrats on the offer!
  • The job is a k-5 music teacher position. Thanks ladies.
  • From what I hear, music teacher positions are harder to come by.  I would definitely consult FI but I'm not a risk taker so I would probably accept the job.  The way I figure, I can handle just about anything for a year.  If you don't like it, commute's too much, etc., apply again next year.
  • Definitely take it and if you get a better offer, bail! :)  There is NO shame in that. 
  • I would definitely take it!  One thing I would definitely recommend is don't break that contract if the other job does come along. It's just not very professional and principals do talk to each other (especially if it's in the same school system).  Congratulations!!
    Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree, I would take it.  Even if its not ideal, it is a job and right now that is a big deal. You said the other place hasn't even called for an interview yet? I wouldn't risk losing this position.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards