June 2012 Weddings

Changing last name?

Just curious who will/won't be changing their last name come June 2012.  I won't; not out of excessive pride in myself or femi-nazi ideals or whatever nasty attributes sometimes people give flak over.  I'm just someone who has always attached a lot of my identity to my name-- I AM Laura *** *******, and I don't see any reason not to be.  I definitely don't judge women who choose differently... I think it is a beautiful, symbolic act of joining.  But it just isn't my thing. 

Re: Changing last name?

• I will be changing my name even though I am a little sad about it. I like my last name, but I also like his last name.
  • I know that must really mean a lot to your fiance. :)  Have you practiced what your new signature will be?  I've always wondered how difficult the learning curve is on that!
  • I have not practiced it yet. I heard its bad luck to do that.lol  I'm sure it's going to take me a while to get used to my new last name.
  • I will be changing my last name. I'm going from a four letter last night to a 10 letter last name. Everytime vendors ask me what my fiances last name is they laugh because its so much longer (and apparently harder to say - yet i dont think so) than mine. I'm very excited to be a Mrs. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be taking on my future husband's last name.. The only things that bugs mem is that our last names are in spanish and his has a double "L" which is pronounced differently in spanish and sounds funny in english... oh well!
  • I will be changing it.  However, my first boyfriend back in high school had the most awful, nerdy sounding name.  Had it worked out between us, I'd be keeping it thank you!
  • I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I've been married before and changed my last name to his but my son has my maiden name...and I'm not sure if I want to change it yet again. I thought about hyphenating it but I don't really like that....so I probably will just change it again, and it'd be great for when I start teaching and trying to have my elementary students say or write the German last name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mizzicantwait - my fiance has the double L in his last name, which I will be taking, and you are right!!!  Very few people pronounce it correctly with a "y" sound.  And even when I correct people, they still don't pronouce it right.  Despite that, I still can't wait to be his Mrs!!!  : )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am taking his last name, but changing my middle name to my (what will be) maiden name. I don't want to lose my last name, but I want to have my FI's last name as well. I think it is a nice compromise. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_changing-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:3d579e09-6074-4296-874a-f61342192bdaPost:9bb3b62d-b015-4e2c-8fb7-d18c1679f752">Re: Changing last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am taking his last name, but changing my middle name to my (what will be) maiden name. I don't want to lose my last name, but I want to have my FI's last name as well. I think it is a nice compromise. 
    Posted by wintek10[/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic but relating to your name change, my BIL's middle name is his mom's maiden name (we suspect that they knew it was going to end in a divorce).
    I don't think I'd want to change my middle name, or make it longer and add the maiden on to my middle name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be changing my last name as well. I just thinik it'll be nice (once we decide to start a family) for the entire family to have the same last name. I am sad about giving up my families last name, but my brother could always carry it on :o)

June 2012-July Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Venue imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissa - That's funny about your brother carrying your last name on.  I feel the same way.  My brother just got married so he can carry on the family name.  If he wasn't there to carry it on, I would probably have at least made my maiden name my middle name (which is what my mom did with her maiden name).  Since I like my middle name so much as is, I've decided to just drop my maiden name and take my FI's last name guilt-free.
  • Julbgordo- I completely agree. If it wasn't for my brother, I would probably have hyphenated my maiden name. I also love my middle name, so I don't think I would have ever changed it. Thank god for my brother can carry on the name, if not me married name would have been extremely long...four words long...lol. 
    June 2012-July Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Venue imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always thought I was going to make my maiden name my middle name (I don't have a middle name) and even my FI asked me after we got engaged if I was going to do it, but now it doesn't appeal to me. There are MANY male heirs in my family to carry on the name anyway--three brothers and SIX nephews!

I'm just really stoked about having his last name and really becoming "one" with him...being his family and the whole bit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards