June 2012 Weddings

"Open Mic" at the reception?

I asked my dad if he was planning on saying a few words at the reception, and he replied with "of course".  I explained to him I wanted to make sure because when I meet my DJ in a few weeks, want to give him a "pre-approved" list of people who might give a speech at the reception.  My dad thought this was very strange, because every wedding he's went to has been the "if ANYONE would like to say a few words, here's the mic" type of wedding.

To me, that type of open mic tends to get long-winded and boring, and you run the risk of handing the mic over to drunk uncle Jeffrey,  pervy/inappropriate cousin Bob, or someone like that.

How are you ladies handling your speeches/toasts?

Re: "Open Mic" at the reception?

• pervy uncle bob haha :D

no open mic for us. not quite for that reason, but to prevent rambling. if someone really REALLY  wants to say something, we'll let them, but other than that, no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_open-mic-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:53a56f12-49d3-493e-bff3-df6f417e14c0Post:85335314-051a-4218-94fc-774a0f395a34">"Open Mic" at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked my dad if he was planning on saying a few words at the reception, and he replied with "of course".  I explained to him I wanted to make sure because when I meet my DJ in a few weeks, want to give him a "pre-approved" list of people who might give a speech at the reception.  My dad thought this was very strange, because every wedding he's went to has been the "if ANYONE would like to say a few words, here's the mic" type of wedding. To me, that type of open mic tends to get long-winded and boring, and <strong>you run the risk of handing the mic over to drunk uncle Jeffrey,  pervy/inappropriate cousin Bob, or someone like that.</strong> How are you ladies handling your speeches/toasts?
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

LMAO at this!

I wouldn't do it either; sorry. It seems like that would open a big old can of worms that allows people to spew whatever is on their minds at the moment. When would the mic be open anyway? During the toasts? During the dancing? Would anyone just be ok to grab a mic when the feeling strikes?

I can really see nothing good coming from this - even the people giving toasts have a time max.
    Vacation White Knot
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    We are giving the DJ a list of those that will speakwhich is just the MOH BM. No other speeches allowed. No one wants to sit through more than 23 speeches.
  • I have never seen an open mic at a wedding. My dad will be giving a thank-you speech for all our guests coming before our pastor says the blessing and my MOH and FI's best man will give a speech. Thats it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_open-mic-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:53a56f12-49d3-493e-bff3-df6f417e14c0Post:b1ca37f3-683f-4b6d-9147-3fe984e7d365">Re: "Open Mic" at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to "Open Mic" at the reception? : LMAO at this! I wouldn't do it either; sorry. It seems like that would open a big old can of worms that allows people to spew whatever is on their minds at the moment. <strong>When would the mic be open anyway?</strong> During the toasts? During the dancing? Would anyone just be ok to grab a mic when the feeling strikes? I can really see nothing good coming from this - even the people giving toasts have a time max.
    Posted by melntaitt[/QUOTE]

I always aim for the laughter ;)

The weddings I've been to have been an open toast concept, where pretty much anyone can toast at that point of the reception.  I've seen where some people won't shut up, lame jokes, slurred speech (having a little too much fun), and I've also seen where toasting took up the ENTIRE reception.  Yep, we sat through a 2.5 hour reception that was nothing but toasts.  I was in the WP, so I couldn't exactly bolt for the door.
  • I've never heard of an "open mic" at a wedding.  I don't really think that's a great idea...  Someone could have had too much to drink and it could go bad fast.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_open-mic-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:53a56f12-49d3-493e-bff3-df6f417e14c0Post:464561b7-7f01-4680-9e23-8f059da2f5a4">Re: "Open Mic" at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Open Mic" at the reception? : I always aim for the laughter ;) The weddings I've been to have been an open toast concept, where pretty much anyone can toast at that point of the reception.  I've seen where some people won't shut up, lame jokes, slurred speech (having a little too much fun), and I've also seen where toasting took up the ENTIRE reception.  Yep, <strong>we sat through a 2.5 hour reception that was nothing but toasts</strong>.  I was in the WP, so I couldn't exactly bolt for the door.
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

I.Would.Cry.
    Vacation White Knot
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    In Response to Re::[QUOTE]We are giving the DJ a list of those that will speakwhich is just the MOH BM. No other speeches allowed. No one wants to sit through more than 23 speeches. Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

Ugh stupid TK mobile. TWO to THREE speeches.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_open-mic-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:53a56f12-49d3-493e-bff3-df6f417e14c0Post:2c49fb25-276c-44f0-a4b9-1be0265c08b4">Re: "Open Mic" at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Open Mic" at the reception? : I.Would.Cry.
    Posted by melntaitt[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

At first it was fine, because I like listening to all the stories, but after awhile I was uber bored, but sat with a smile because I was at the head table.  Then the last person said, "thanks for coming", and everyone started to head out.  I was like, WTF?  I sat through so many people talking and I don't even get to dance?  Nice.
  • Our DJ is really good at interrupting people who need to be stopped.  He also keeps very tight control of the mic so it doesn't just go to anyone.

My FSIL has asked FI for a 15 second surprise speech at the reception to give us something (NO idea what) but after we discussed it (NO surprises here, lady) he's going to try to convince her to do it at the rehearsal dinner instead.  After what happened at the bridal shower, I think it'll be more appropriate/less embarrassing to be only in front of the WP and immediate family...
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • I haven't thought about it too much ... of course if our parents or any BP members would like to say a few words, that would be fine with me.  By there is no way I would ever have the DJ announce "If ANYONE would like to say a few words ... "  

I've actually never been to a wedding where that was announced by the DJ.

I'm actually debating asking our MOH and BM if they would prefer to speak during the RD so as to not have too much time devoted to speeches at the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards