June 2012 Weddings

Re: EXPIRED

• Options
    My brother's girlfriend's birthday was May 24th and I wished her a happy birthday.  However, just now at dinner I realized I never sent her anything!  She sent me a dozen cupcakes from a local bakery for my birthday last October and I really really like his girlfriend and if it hadn't been like 2 weeks before my wedding I would have remembered to send her something!  I felt terrible and I'm sending her an edible arrangement to her office on Monday.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I find this extremely offensive despite the "disclaimer." I understand having bride brain, but to compare it to an actual, very sad disease is just wrong. And with all the people that have ADHD, I just feel like it's unnecessary.

It's like saying something racist and then disclaiming it with, "But I'm not racist, I have {enter race just offended} friends."
  • Options
    As someone with ADHD, I actually find this somewhat offensive despite your "disclaimer."  You've played into some of the misconceptions of ADHD in what is essentially a failed attempt to be funny.

Most of us have been able to keep a good balance of wedding and "real life" and have continued to do so post-wedding.  If you're really that absorbed into an event that's already passed, you might want to seek help; your marriage might be at stake here.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    HAHA Kelsey, we're thinking the exact same thing.

In addition, your description of yourself as "OCD" is mistaken.  OCD is a serious anxiety disorder; my cousin has it, my friend has it.  If you feel a panic attack coming on because your pens are not in the proper order or because you haven't washed your hands exactly 7 times, you have OCD.  If you just feel a need to be organized, you do not have OCD.  Please don't trivialize something that has such a huge and often horrible impact on peoples' lives.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    Alzheimer's as a joke? Really? smh Never cool. Ever. Ever.

Ever.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My posts/comments on The Knot have been few and far between lately, but I must comment on this post.  I am appalled and disgusted that you would liken wedding planning to OCD, ADHD, or Alzheimer's.  Do you know anyone that has been touched by these disorders?  If you did you probably wouldn't be so quick to joke around about them.   

My grandmother was affected by Alzheimer's for years before she passed.  She was a strong, wonderful woman with nine children and about 30 grandchildren.  During her final year she did not recognize any of us.  Nor did she recognize my grandfather, her husband of 60+ years.  It was heartbreaking for my entire family, but seeing my grandfather cry because the love of his life no longer recognized him or had any memory of their life together was devastating. 

This post is offensive and tasteless.  End. Of. Story.
  • Options
    To compare not being disciplined enough to concentrate or remember tasks to a disease is ridiculous.
  • Options
    If you knew that this may be disrespectful and insulting to some people (and it seems like you did), why did you post this? A simple post about how the wedding planning made you forgetful and unable to concentrate because that's all you could think about, and that you're feeling it subsiding now that the wedding is over, would have sufficed. Remember, you're posting on an open forum where people may be sensitive to these issues due to personal experience.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not sure why you thought this was necessary, but as someone watching a loved one slowly suffer through Alzheimer's this is truly abhorent.

For the record, I was pretty forgetful before I started wedding planning, and that process didn't improve my memory; but I was also in a car for hours weeks ago looking for my Papa who drove away and couldn't remember where he lived.

Normally, my offensive switch is pretty stable; I'm a triple minority living in a small town in Upstate NY - my skin is pretty thick. This struck close to home for me and I hope you have the good taste to DD this.
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs I find this very rude and offensive. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Was this supposed to be funny? It totally wasn't.

Rude. Offensive. Unnecessary.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:c1a657cb-db8f-4dbe-85bc-8c13f2a0957f">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]I find this extremely offensive despite the "disclaimer." I understand having bride brain, but to compare it to an actual, very sad disease is just wrong. And with all the people that have ADHD, I just feel like it's unnecessary. It's like saying something racist and then disclaiming it with, "But I'm not racist, I have {enter race just offended} friends."
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

You are such a bit itch
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:397dfff1-229b-457f-bec6-09c2d9e9a22c">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sigh.  I have edited the post as you all will now see. This post was Not intended to offend anyone. I personally have ADHD, so does my youngest son, and my middle son has ADD. My grandfather who had been the love of my life growing up suffered from Alzheimer's. Yes it broke my heart every time I went to visit him and he didn't remember who I was. There are different levels of OCD and yes I have been diagnosed with that as well.  I was at no point trying to make a joke about these diseases. Rather as someone who has had direct experience with them, either first hand or through a loved one, I genuinely feel that they are well known for certain attributes which would help convey the challenges I and other bride and grooms have experienced. In this day and age, I have learned to make light of my disorders and function with them. There was a time when I viewed them in a negative way personally and was embarrassed and offended at times. Now I have found ways to appreciate my uniqueness, though sometimes challenging, I have found positives in both my OCD and ADHD. It has been a life long process, and I suppose I overlooked how sensitive I was about it years ago when I posted. So I apologize for having offended anyone, as that was not my intention. 
    Posted by jaschelle[/QUOTE]

It's never ok or funny to joke about a disease. It doesnt matter if you have them or have a loved one who has/had the disease. Its just not ok. Ever.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:fd81f23b-f3e7-47a5-9260-7875c0ac7be7">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Brain :<strong> It's never ok or funny to joke about a disease. It doesnt matter if you have them or have a loved one who has/had the disease. Its just not ok. Ever.</strong>
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]
    agree
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:fd81f23b-f3e7-47a5-9260-7875c0ac7be7">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Brain : It's never ok or funny to joke about a disease. It doesnt matter if you have them or have a loved one who has/had the disease. Its just not ok. Ever.
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

Yes. Seeing the positive side of things is not the same as making fun of something.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:fd81f23b-f3e7-47a5-9260-7875c0ac7be7">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Brain : It's never ok or funny to joke about a disease. It doesnt matter if you have them or have a loved one who has/had the disease. Its just not ok. Ever.
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:dd50d37d-18ed-4999-ae01-fb6e57d41296">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Brain : Yes. Seeing the positive side of things is not the same as making fun of something.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

<div>100000% agree with both of these. </div></div><div>
    </div><div>And your "apology" was more of a "Well I have these, so it's okay." Which is the same thing I was saying in my example above.</div>
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    I just think Jaschelle ran out of PC things to say on here, but obviously still felt the need to keep posting wall-o-texts. 

Not cool Jaschelle.  And why edit? The damage was already done and you were quoted. It just makes you look like an idiot.

ETA or not quoted.. I thought someone quoted.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:dd50d37d-18ed-4999-ae01-fb6e57d41296">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Brain : Yes. Seeing the positive side of things is not the same as making fun of something.

yep-exactly!
  • Options
    Sigh. People don't understand that I KNOW people that have these horrible diseases that ruin people's lives and I can totes see the humor in Grandma not recognizing her husband of 60 years. Oh fiddle dee dee. Apologizing, you're doin it wrong.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:2d32c1c8-5db7-4166-9e51-59c185fc7973">Re:Wedding Brain</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sigh. People don't understand that I KNOW people that have these horrible diseases that ruin people's lives and I can totes see the humor in Grandma not recognizing her husband of 60 years. Oh fiddle dee dee. Apologizing, you're doin it wrong.
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

<div>Bahahahahahaha you just said totes. You could have def. thrown in an obvi. ;)</div>
  • Options
    Oh, you said sorry, so now everything is ok and you are off the hook.

Not.

How old are you? Don't you know that's not how the real world works? Someday you are going to do something really stupid that an "Oops! *giggles* Sorry!" won't fix. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:84d07bb1-b1e7-45ed-9ff8-029a10c345b6Post:dd50d37d-18ed-4999-ae01-fb6e57d41296">Re: Wedding Brain</a>:
     Agree with this 100%
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards