June 2012 Weddings
Options

Talking about TK IRL

Do you ever want to talk about TK or say something like, "I know someone who..." or "Someone I know said..." but couldn't because you didn't feel like explaining that you actually didn't know the person, or who the person was/how you know them if they ask?

I feel like I always want to tell about funny things that are said and can't bring myself to do it half the time.  I'm not telling FI about the registry exchange.  He will think it's strange.  Just like he thought the E food swap was strange...haha 

Re: Talking about TK IRL

• Options
    FI gets to hear all of the stories/comments I want to share from here. He just shakes his head but he gets amusement out of them too. Anyone else would probably think I'm crazy.
  • Options
    I felt that way too. I totally know how you feel. I freely talk about it with FI (he may think I am crazy but he is still marrying me!) but no one else!!

I found a calligrapher through Jeannine that I wnated to use. So I told my mom that my college friend used this calligrapher because my mom was worried that we would get scammed...sending a check and envelopes across the country. bahahah!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Chels that is hilarious! I tell FI lots of the stories too, but generally no one else.  My Mom knows about TK too and giggles about it.  Oh where'd you get that idea, TK? Yes Mom, every single idea I got was from TK :P
  • Options
    My FI gets to hear some of my stories and he thinks its cute! I love it that we have forums like this to talk on endlessly about all things wedding related. it takes a load off of the BP and family and friends and helps me feel less guilty about being sooo happy!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oh, FI hears about it all the time! I am the only one of my friends that is getting married, the rest either aren't there or are already married. So, you ladies are life savers. haha

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I talk to FI and my mom about it all the time. They both probably think I'm crazy, but who cares. This is our life..."You know blahdeblah on The Knot?" FI: "Yea.." "Well, they did this or said this and isn't this so funny or don't you really like that idea?"

I'm such a freak. I talk to my mom that way too. I sometimes talk with a married friend about TK because she was active on here when she was planning and is now over on The Nest.

And Chels, that is SO funny!!! My mom's BF (who's practically my stepdad) gets nervous about it all if he hears me talking to mom about TK. He's like, I'm not sure if that's safe. I hope those girls are nice to you, etc. 
  • Options
    I talk to FI, my mom and my sister about you guys a lot! My sister thinks it's funny how we talk about our days and what's going on in our lives besides our weddings.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've mentioned it a couple of times to FI and he just states blankly. Thankfully I have a friend who got married in June 2011 and she's on here so she appreciates me stories :). My other BF thinks I'm insane that people share info with strangers.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_talking-about-tk-irl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ae859394-b81b-4ee6-9ef8-ffd9e209709aPost:3fe72da1-eb35-40a5-a4df-56d90423ef31">Re: Talking about TK IRL</a>:
    [QUOTE]I talk to FI, my mom and my sister about you guys a lot! My sister thinks it's funny how we talk about our days and what's going on in our lives besides our weddings.
    Posted by ncd5015[/QUOTE]

<div>Nikki, I told FI how you're moving into the neighborhood one of our friend's lives in!</div>
  • Options
    FI laughs at me because he's a forum nerd too.  I don't really say anything to anyone else about it though.
  • Options
    Ii tell him stories all the time. Ones that are freaking hilarous. Then I think he's nuts for not thinking it's funny.
  • Options
    My fiance is used to it because of blogging and because I'm part of a music community that interacts online.  I have blogger friends who I will probably tackle if I ever get to meet in person because I love them so much. 

Heck, one of his groomsmen is one of my music friends and his wife is one of my bridesmaids.

• Options
    ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_talking-about-tk-irl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ae859394-b81b-4ee6-9ef8-ffd9e209709aPost:d7fb2588-4534-40e6-9b59-bfbdfcaedae9">Re: Talking about TK IRL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talking about TK IRL : Nikki, I told FI how you're moving into the neighborhood one of our friend's lives in!
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

Haha I told my FI you know someone who lives in the neighborhood! Do you know which houses he lives in?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_talking-about-tk-irl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ae859394-b81b-4ee6-9ef8-ffd9e209709aPost:2daf6d45-81e2-4c32-99e4-1ed6690f9aa0">Re: Talking about TK IRL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talking about TK IRL : Haha I told my FI you know someone who lives in the neighborhood! Do you know which houses he lives in?
    Posted by ncd5015[/QUOTE]

<div>I'll PM you his address if you want! it's one of the townhomes.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_talking-about-tk-irl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ae859394-b81b-4ee6-9ef8-ffd9e209709aPost:bd4873a5-b72a-4bdf-8fd2-eac5f24cefe2">Re: Talking about TK IRL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talking about TK IRL : I'll PM you his address if you want! it's one of the townhomes.
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

Oh my sister's want to move into one of the townhouses!! I wonder if it's like the one she is looking at.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I tell my close friends "Someone on 'the forum'..." because they know what I'm talking about.  If I mention it to other people (e.g. my mom) I say "a friend" or "I read online about someone who..."
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    They know I have a TK account, but they don't know I'm on the message boards.  I don't know how I will explain getting a gift from a "stranger" to my parents. Sometimes I'll say I read somewhere.......
  • Options
    If I refer to someone I'm like this girl on TK haha. Like today we were at hobby lobby and there were Easter decorations. I said a girl on TK (Ollie) got really cute moss covered rabits! haha
  • Options
    With FI or someone else I'm close to, I will say on TK.  Other people, I would probably say, I heard about someone who _________.  Usually people don't ask to explain.

It is sad how much things in RL remind me of things on TK.  Glad I'm not the only one in this boat!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I talk to everyone about it. By now everyone I talk to knows I get on TK message boards, so I'm always like, "This girl on TK said this...". Haha. At first FI thought it was really weird. He's used to it by now though. I actually said something last night to FI and our neighbor (who we're pretty close with), but I can't remember what we were talking about now...but TK and something that someone I "know" (haha) said, came up.
  • Options
    mostly my fiance, i keep tk & my blog private on purpose for a reason because i do not want to be found so i don't talk about it much. If i want to relay a story i say wedding website.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI gets it...but he's part of an online archery forum. When we talk it's like "This girl on TK" or "This guy on AT"...LOL! It's kinda comical... When I talk to anyone els I usually say "I read online..." Haha.
  • Options
    FI, my family, and a couple friends know all about it.  FI thinks its a little weird but I think he's secretly thankful that I have TK to talk with you ladies about everything so he doesn't have about all the little details that he couldn't care less about!  My mom and sister just think its funny, my dad is still trying to grasp email so he just sorta smiles and nods.  I don't talk about it TOOO much with friends because sometimes I vent about someone and I don't want them getting too excited about TK and then coming on here and seeing something!

If I have something to say about someone in particular I say, "one of my June brides..." and everyone knows what I mean!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I mostly talk about stuff we discuss as one of my friends are doing ____ when I talk about it to people to avoid having to explain "this person I know online.....".

Typically my FI knows right off the bat just about anything WR I talk about with other people doing things are from here.
  • Options
    I say "my wedding people" or "my bride friends" instead of TK. FI is just generally amused by my online life. I don't have any female friends IRL, so I have absolutely no one to discuss wedding stuff with! Except the guy at work who just proposed. I like to scare him. :D
  • Options
    I just say, "This lady on my wedding website" or something along those lines. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards