June 2012 Weddings

NWR : Weird Credit Card Transaction

So I was looking over my American Express Statment and found a charge that I am quite sure I never made. First of all it was on a day I can account for all my whereabouts and I did not order something off Wal-Mart. com. Haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in forever online or in a store. I started an inquiry online disputing the charge & for the cc company to look into it. I never lost possestion of my card but I am thinking I need to cancel it. Anyone else had something like this happen to them?

Re: NWR : Weird Credit Card Transaction

• Was it for a small amount? Sometimes people who steal CC numbers will do a small amount to see if you notice and then do a bigger purchase.

I wouldn't do it online, I would call your CC company and see if they know or locate where it was done. If you can I would definitely cancel or try to see if they can get you a new account number.

Good luck, I hope it is just a mistake and a simple fix!
  • jaime10285jaime10285 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I've had two false charges appear on my card.  The first time I canceled the card after disputing the charge and got a new CC number.  After the second one, I just disputed the charge and didn't change the number.  Unfortunately in our modern technological society I think this happens sometimes but do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
    Anniversary
  • My bank card got frozen last year for a $.13 purchase at a hotel in Massachusetts.  When I went to the bank to find out why they called customer service with me there and I spoke with them about the charge.  I ended up getting a new debit card on the spot which was great.

For those of you that haven't gone on your HM's yet, make sure you let your bank/credit card know that you will be traveling so that it doesn't freeze your account due to a suspicious charge.
  • Same thing happened to me...two mysterious charges.  Just call amex, get a new card and they will investigate/refund the amount.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, filing an inquiry online is not the same as calling them and getting your card replaced. Silly if you ask me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The charge was right around $60. I noticed while I was looking at my online account and saw the inquiry button right next to it but am planning on calling and reporting it/ getting my card canceled. I don't want to deal with a much larger amount/ worse situation.
  • I have had my checking account tapped 3 times and all 3 times the bank was super awesome about refunding any funds taken out and shutting everything down immediately. As well as sending me a new card. It's a pain but like someone else said part of the electronic system we live in. I hope they are quick about looking in to it for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards