June 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/school-t-cougars-because-middle-aged-women-might-161402778.html

Has anyone seen this article? I thought it was a pretty lame excuse for the school board to reject the student chosen mascot because middle age women might be offended. BYU mascot is the cougars and no one seems to be affended by that. Some times I just have to shake my head at some people's logic/reasoning.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot

• Options

I wonder if the principle or someone on the board is a cougar and the students picked it to mock them? Otherwise, that's dumb. Plenty of schools use the cougar as their mascot.

Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Wow that's ridiculous. The private high school I went to until jr. year had the Notre Dame mascot in our gym (except like flipped so not identical). The school was through the Catholic parish and they redid some stuff in the gym. The pastor wouldn't let them redo the mascot because he thought it was too violent
  • Options
    That's so weird! My high school mascot was a cougar. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Ours was the "Trojans"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's insane!  Someone on the school board must be a cougar and not want to be reminded pf it.  I used to work at a school with cougar as a mascot....I better let them know someone might be offended by it! :P 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_mwr-school-board-says-cougars-mascot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e2dd87d0-a308-423d-9988-006510bde611Post:45eff83c-fc63-40d2-8bc3-e994e4387119">Re: NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours was the "Trojans"
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

I can just imagine the response of these same school board members if the students voted to use the Trojans as a school mascot
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    My high school mascot was a Trojan.. We saw condoms at every sporting event.

ETA: Haha Chelsea, us too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_mwr-school-board-says-cougars-mascot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e2dd87d0-a308-423d-9988-006510bde611Post:8d1de93b-ca6f-4e8e-8680-66d8dfeb7143">Re: NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot</a>:
    [QUOTE]My high school mascot was a Trojan.. We saw condoms at every sporting event. Posted by ncd5015[/QUOTE]

Safety first!
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_mwr-school-board-says-cougars-mascot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e2dd87d0-a308-423d-9988-006510bde611Post:8d1de93b-ca6f-4e8e-8680-66d8dfeb7143">Re: NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot</a>:
    [QUOTE]My high school mascot was a Trojan.. We saw condoms at every sporting event. ETA: Haha Chelsea, us too!
    Posted by ncd5015[/QUOTE]

haha! every homecoming when we made our parade float we would try to do "nothing gets past a trojan" on our signs.... we always got caught.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_mwr-school-board-says-cougars-mascot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e2dd87d0-a308-423d-9988-006510bde611Post:866ecb32-bf61-44ef-9e89-606bb7d02548">Re: NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot : haha! every homecoming when we made our parade float we would try to do "nothing gets past a trojan" on our signs.... we always got caught.

Haha thats hilarious

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Even worse:my brother school was the Chrusaders. How violent and offensive is that? No surprise the school was full of white Italian and Irish boys. I can't believe how complacent we were.
  • Options
    One of my sorority sisters, her mascot was a Big Mac

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My middle school mascot was the cougar. My High School mascot was the Muskrat! LOL We used to cheer go RATS!

Fiance's middle school mascot called The Wave (like a wave in the ocean/lake), originally they were called The Pirates, but the school board thought it was to violent or something, so they changed it to The Wave. Fiance hated it and said they were always teased in sports.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_mwr-school-board-says-cougars-mascot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e2dd87d0-a308-423d-9988-006510bde611Post:45eff83c-fc63-40d2-8bc3-e994e4387119">Re: NWR: School board says no to Cougars as the mascot</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours was the "Trojans"

<div>That was our hockey team.... the team tried to put "Play safe" on the jerseys....it was vetoed by parents, unsurprisingly. Haha.</div>
  • Options
    I heard about this this morning.  I think it's silly.  My middle school mascot was a cougar and no one thought about older ladies or anything.  We just thought of the cat and the students there still do since a crappy picture of one's face is on the wall in blue. 

If they really want to change the mascot to a cougar I think the school could go about doing it in a way to not have students think of the dating version.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards