June 2012 Weddings
Options

Our Ring Bearer May Bow Out

FI's nephew is 6.  I've always known him as such an outgoing and friendly kid, so I never had any doubt in asking him to be our ring bearer.  We were visiting FMIL last weekend and she told us that RB is getting shy as he gets older and may be uncomfortable with the situation.  I'm not going to force a 6 year old to do anything he doesn't want to do, but we were both annoyed that FBIL (RB's dad and FI's BM) never said anything to us about what the situation might be.  FBIL finally told FI that RB doesn't want to participate.  

It's just frustrating.  If this has been the case for a while, I wish someone would have said something to us.  I'm hoping that RB will stick around during the rehearsal so he can see what it's all about.  We also have a 3 year old FG that I'm hoping he can bond with and maybe they can walk together down the aisle so he isn't alone.

I'm not losing hope on my RB just yet!  LOL Smile

Re: Our Ring Bearer May Bow Out

• Options
    That is a tough one.  My Flower Girl is 8, and this is going to be her 3rd time as a FG.  She is walking in the church alone, but I did ask her if she wanted to be announced at the reception with my 2 junior bridesmaids & she said yes. 
  • Options
    I'm a little nervous too, one of my FG's is just under 2 years old. She's pretty out going and a happy kid and the other FG is 6 and this will be her 3rd time being a FG and she's a little stage hog. I'm hoping the 6 year old will be able to "mother" the little one and make her feel better. I have play dates arranged so they can hang out and get to know one another but we'll see~! So hopefully it will work out for both of us!
  • Options
    My cousin's niece was sort of the same way (except she's always been super shy). She's 4 and they'd been talking up her walking down the aisle by herself for months before the wedding. They even took her to the church to practice and she even walked by herself at the rehearsal. When it came to the actual wedding, she got super nervous with all those people and ended up walking down the aisle with her 2 matron of honors (she walked in the middle and the held her hand). It worked out perfectly and I'm sure no one even knew she was "supposed" to walk down by herself. 

Maybe y'all can do something like that?
  • Options
    I figure the kids are one of those variables I will just refuse to stress about.  They're children, so they may or may not do whatever we want them to do the day of.  Whatever they do, it will either be adorable, or it just won't happen, and it'll just have to be okay.  My FGs are 15 months and 4 years, and my RBs are 22 months and 15 months.  If the littlies don't do it at all, it's still fine.  Heck, if they all freak out and refuse, that's fine too!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_our-ring-bearer-may-bow-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:f6b195d4-335e-4b04-83d4-3aeceb25a658Post:00f0708d-d273-4aea-8d71-d20d7190e194">Re: Our Ring Bearer May Bow Out</a>:
    [QUOTE]I figure the kids are one of those variables I will just refuse to stress about.  They're children, so they may or may not do whatever we want them to do the day of.  Whatever they do, it will either be adorable, or it just won't happen, and it'll just have to be okay.  My FGs are 15 months and 4 years, and my RBs are 22 months and 15 months.  If the littlies don't do it at all, it's still fine.  Heck, if they all freak out and refuse, that's fine too!
    Posted by SoSaysTara[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one by asking less then 2 year olds to be in the wedding! It will be great no matter what!</div>
  • Options
    This is part of the reason we aren't having a FG or RB, all the kids in our families and our friend's kids are all shy. I backed out of my aunts wedding on the day of, absolutely threw a tantrum (I was 4 and terrified of walking by myself), so my mom (MOH) threw the flower petals... haha! It turned out to be a hilarious moment and a great memory. That aunt keeps asking if she can be my FG.

I like (I think it was) Kelsey's idea of having them walk with someone else. It's going to have to be one of those last minute decisions, but that's the fun with kidlets!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards