June 2012 Weddings
Options

Cash or Gift or Gift Card Poll

My FI is in a wedding at the end of April and I am in charge of purchasing the wedding gift and had a question.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
June 2012 April Siggy Challenge: Rings
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Cash or Gift or Gift Card Poll

• Options
    it's a tie between cash/check and a gift off their registry. Are there any gifts left on the registry in your price range? That would be my deciding factor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They have a few good things that I was eyeing still on their registry. 

I was talking to my sister, she got married last summer, and she said that she wished she had gotten more presents, because if they received $$ they felt like they should save it rather than go and spend it on stuff off of their registry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 April Siggy Challenge: Rings
  • Options
    Most of the stuff on our registry is not "must-haves", but upgrades..we'd rather have the cash so we can put it toward a down-payment on a house.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I always first look on the registry at a certain price point if I see something I would like to get the couple. If theres nothing that I like I give a gift card to that store or a Visa gift card. I just realized I have never just given cash which is cool too.
  • Options
    The way I see it is like this (at least for me)

Shower = gift off registry
    Wedding = cash/check

I only registered as a just-in-case for people that would like to purchase a gift for the wedding (as I'm not having a shower).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • Options
    I chose a gift because we'd be tempted to save the money and we'd convince ourselves that we don't *need* what's left on our registry and then we won't get all the nice upgrades. We don't need anything on our registry, but it'll be nice to have new stuff when we move into a house in a couple of years :)
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    TeepTeep member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-or-gift-or-gift-card-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:fc59021b-5385-4c50-a9a2-11e0922ed31fPost:7c76fce9-92cc-457a-9cf0-ed5625adf500">Re: Cash or Gift or Gift Card Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]The way I see it is like this (at least for me) Shower = gift off registry Wedding = cash/check I only registered as a just-in-case for people that would like to purchase a gift for the wedding (as I'm not having a shower).
    Posted by KrisKenny[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I hope we don't get too many actual presents at the wedding. Would we put them in the limo? Have my parents take them home and pick them up later? I would definitely prefer money.
  • Options
    If you're bringing it to the wedding I think it should go inside the card; so either cash/check or GC. Carrying presents home that day will be a pain.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I voted cash or check just because that's what I would rather get for a wedding gift.
  • Options
    I said registry gifts because I just like opening presents as opposed to envelopes with money or gift cards. All are wonderful, though.

With people close enough to be in the wedding party, I'm hoping for some personal gifts. Like I made my friend a scrapbooked picture frame for a wedding present last year. I was in her wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-or-gift-or-gift-card-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:fc59021b-5385-4c50-a9a2-11e0922ed31fPost:7c76fce9-92cc-457a-9cf0-ed5625adf500">Re: Cash or Gift or Gift Card Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]The way I see it is like this (at least for me) Shower = gift off registry Wedding = cash/check I only registered as a just-in-case for people that would like to purchase a gift for the wedding (as I'm not having a shower).
    Posted by KrisKenny[/QUOTE]

<div>This!</div>

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'd much rather get a gift...besides, it makes writing the thank you card easier when you get to thank them for a specific gift.
  • Options
    I said cash only because I bought a gift for a wedding once and forgot it at home then I had to ship it to them afterwards.  So now i just give checks, that way they can use it for whatever they want be it house, stuff off their registry or whatever.
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge: Invitations
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Planning Updated 02.08.12
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 134 Invited!
    image 94 Are making the trek South
    image 39 Won't be able to make it
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-or-gift-or-gift-card-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:fc59021b-5385-4c50-a9a2-11e0922ed31fPost:cbde6082-e342-445b-a610-f49fd9108f4d">Re: Cash or Gift or Gift Card Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most of the stuff on our registry is not "must-haves", but upgrades..we'd rather have the cash so we can put it toward a down-payment on a house.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

This---but we would use the money towards renovating my house.  I voted for the gift because that's what I'd give if there was one available in my price range. 
  • Options
    Most of the stuff on my registry IS "must-haves" so honestly I'd rather have something off of that.  Cash/check is a close second, though. 

A gift card sounds like a nice idea, but if you get them one to a store they registered at, and their friends/family cleaned out their registry for the wedding and shower - that says to me that they've gotten everything they need for the time being, so what on earth are they going to do with it?
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    Personally, if it's someone I know really well, I make them something (usually an afghan) but if it's somone I don't know that well, I give them cash.  Plus that way, they don't get duplicate gifts if someone forgot to check something they bought off the registry. And I think I would feel the same way.....
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I like to gift from the registry if anything is in my price point and usually something is...we've never really given cash before.
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    Presents are nice, but with cash the couple can choose from registry stuff or savings/etc. 
  • Options
    I'd start with their registry.  If things are out of your price range, or not something you'd like to give them, then go with a check.  That's what we did for a wedding we went to in October.  I personally wouldn't do a gift card, too restricting.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options

That's a tough question! Is there a way you can get them a small gift off their registry and some cash?? This is what FI and I did for his friend that got married last summer.  We got them a gift of about $20 and then gave some cash.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-or-gift-or-gift-card-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:fc59021b-5385-4c50-a9a2-11e0922ed31fPost:7c76fce9-92cc-457a-9cf0-ed5625adf500">Re: Cash or Gift or Gift Card Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]The way I see it is like this (at least for me) Shower = gift off registry Wedding = cash/check Posted by KrisKenny[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards