African American Weddings
Options

Does anyone ever really...

Stick to the wedding budget? I really wish we could...or had. I have caviar taste on a tilapia (not quite fish stick, but close) budget...lol. When I realize how much it is costing for this wedding, which will last for ONE DAY, I have to laugh to keep from crying. Mainly because I don't want the production anyway...it's for my FI and my dad...I just want to marry my sweetie. However, I do feel that if we are going to do it, we need to do it right.

I really needed to say this to someone...no one else seems to hear me on it.
AAW June Siggy Challenge
My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Does anyone ever really...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-ever-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0eb113de-59c9-4f7f-8d97-4db323772fcePost:aabeea9b-5ccd-4abd-9012-987704d22f96">Does anyone ever really...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stick to the wedding budget? I really wish we could...or had. I have caviar taste on a tilapia (not quite fish stick, but close) budget...lol. When I realize how much it is costing for this wedding, which will last for ONE DAY, I have to laugh to keep from crying. Mainly because I don't want the production anyway...it's for my FI and my dad...I just want to marry my sweetie. However, I do feel that if we are going to do it, we need to do it right. I really needed to say this to someone...no one else seems to hear me on it.
    Posted by eagles347[/QUOTE]

I have a tuna on a saltine cracker budget over here!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't even think we set a "budget". I think it's more like... ok, let's not be ridiculous. I have a roundabout of where we don't want to go over. At this point, all I want is a videographer, and I'm trying to do everything to get it! lol. UGH! So, I plan to DIY all my paper stuff to cut back. And I'm looking for an inexpensive photographer. {Which I've found a few and contacted.}

I completely understand where you're coming from! 

HAHAHA, my aunt {who hasn't been asked and won't be asked for anything concerning the wedding} told FI that I have caviar taste on a bean dip budget. He says even bean dip is high now! LOL! And I say don't worry bout what taste and budget I have!
  • Options
    msapril0730msapril0730 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We originally budgeted for $15k based on our guest list. Further into the planning we started cutting ppl back or out of our lives for various reason. The budget went down alot but I'm currently over budget. I want everything to be what I envisioned so I went over budget some. I think its possible to stay at or under budget if you absolutely have no choice. Some of the ladies on the budget board planned their weddings on $3000 budgets.

I don't think its an issue going over budget some, as long as all parties involved can afford to put out the extra!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we were all good on our initial budget until we decided:

1) we wanted to serve an open bar of wine/beer instead of strictly a cash bar
    2) we are no long using FI's friend for our DJ, so we're puting out more money for a new DJ now
    3) we hired a videographer and at first I didn't even want one

Now we are over, but not over to a crazy extent.  I totally agree with the PP, as long as you can afford it and you are not going overboard just to showboat or whatever, then it will be fine.  FI and I will still be able to pay for this wedding with cash - we are not going to be in debt as newlyweds and that's what counts to us! 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-ever-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:0eb113de-59c9-4f7f-8d97-4db323772fcePost:84913905-4f3c-4803-8e08-275cf1fdcc92">Re: Does anyone ever really...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah we were all good on our initial budget until we decided: 1) we wanted to serve an open bar of wine/beer instead of strictly a cash bar 2) we are no long using FI's friend for our DJ, so we're puting out more money for a new DJ now 3) we hired a videographer and at first I didn't even want one N<strong>ow we are over, but not over to a crazy extent.  I totally agree with the PP, as long as you can afford it and you are not going overboard just to showboat or whatever, then it will be fine.  FI and I will still be able to pay for this wedding with cash - we are not going to be in debt as newlyweds and that's what counts to us! </strong>
    Posted by cincy2011[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto!  We might go over budget just because we couldn't cut our guest list down, but we're good on everything else.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I agree with the PP as long as you can afford it I say go for it.  I know for us there were something we didn't included in the budget, but as time went on we added them or things we included but when it came down to our final selection/taste we went over budget.  We went over on quite of bit of thing, but most important thing is we paid for everything in caah and we got what we wanted. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • Options
    cyndoncyndon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Surprisingly, we are about $2,000.00 under budget.  My FI watches the budget like a hawk.  We did cut out the bar, but our package includes beer and wine along with the regular soft drinks.  We saved about $3,000.00 by having the wedding earlier in the day and having everything in one place.  I am also doing a lot of DIY, like the invites.  Instead of ordering favors, I am going to make them(oreo truffles) which will run me about $75 after i buy the supplies and packing for them.  My aunt is taking care of all my flowers (thank you Jesus!!) and we are renting a luxury car instead of getting a limo.  My FI is a money saver where I am a money spender, LOL.  I have been trying to find somewhere to spend that $2,000.00, but he is like "no, you want those stainless steel appliances, right?"
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if you stick to your guns, you can stay under budget.  this time around, i'm the ultimate budget bride.  and that's fine with me.  we're probably spend about $2500 max.  we're a very creative couple so we know lots of other creative people.  we're having a fabulous photographer who's a friend of ours.  i'm doing the flowers myself. we're also only inviting 80 people anyway.  that really helps!  it's things like this that are helping me keep the wedding under my budget. 

but if you can afford it and it doesn't break you, make the day yours. 

• Options
    edited December 2011

My FI and I set a $5000 budget and we are actually under budget...but we've gotten ALOT of great vendors for cheap and free! My FI is in the military so the chapel and reception hall is free...we just have to pay for the food, which is $13 a person and we invited 135 ppl. All the other vendors are either friends of the family or just starting out their business so their services are really cheap. I live on Etsy and Ebay now and just about everything I've bought for the wedding has come from these 2 sites! And I've pretty much DIY everything...paper, flowers, gifts, etc! Also coupons, coupons, coupons!!! I don't buy anything from Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Vistaprint unless I have a coupon!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    cyndoncyndon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Vistaprint, Hobby Lobby and Michael's are life savers!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where do you find Michael's coupons? 
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-ever-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:0eb113de-59c9-4f7f-8d97-4db323772fcePost:1e59af68-c31d-4db4-ba2c-ef62ba660300">Re: Does anyone ever really...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where do you find Michael's coupons? 
    Posted by cincy2011[/QUOTE]

<div>Sign up for them on their website. And one their website you can view their weekly add. The ladies on the DIY board post them sometimes.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ty!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    they don't send something out every week.  if you shop in the store, you'll get one on your receipt.  check hobby lobby's site.  they usually do a 40% off coupon every other week.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Krimson!
  • Options
    msapril0730msapril0730 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-ever-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0eb113de-59c9-4f7f-8d97-4db323772fcePost:e36ef5f7-082b-4ba9-a8b6-07ff241f81dc">Re: Does anyone ever really...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I set a $5000 budget and we are actually under budget...but we've gotten ALOT of great vendors for cheap and free! My FI is in the military so the chapel and reception hall is free...we just have to pay for the food, which is $13 a person and we invited 135 ppl. All the other vendors are either friends of the family or just starting out their business so their services are really cheap. <strong>I live on Etsy and Ebay now</strong> and just about everything I've bought for the wedding has come from these 2 sites! And I've pretty much DIY everything...paper, flowers, gifts, etc! Also coupons, coupons, coupons!!! I don't buy anything from Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Vistaprint unless I have a coupon!!!!
    Posted by admallard[/QUOTE]

Me too! I found my veil on ebay for $25! David's bridal wanted almost $100 for it
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-ever-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0eb113de-59c9-4f7f-8d97-4db323772fcePost:6902da78-2ba8-44d1-b8cf-aef8bde4e760">Re: Does anyone ever really...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone ever really... : Me too! I found my veil on ebay for $25! David's bridal wanted almost $100 for it
    Posted by msapril0730[/QUOTE]

Girl yes! When I see something in the stores I always go home and check online first! Most of the time you can buy the exact thing online for cheaper!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011

For the most part, we have stuck to the budget. BUT of course, stuff happens. An example is the fact that I budgeted $300 - $400 for our traditional Nigerial outfit. Turns out it'll cost me almost 4 times that amount. THAT was definitely NOT in our budget. Or rather, I didn't estimate properly since this'll be my first time purchasing that stuff on my own.

Also, we up'd our guest list from 140 to 170. We figured actual attendance will be closer to the original estimate since it's an out of town wedding for 2/3 of the guests so we should still be somewhat OK as far as that's concerned.

I have been DIY'ing a lot of things. the DIY board is the other board I frequent.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not going to lie..

We went over budget and there's a couple of thousand that we won't be able to pay off at the end of the month. We built our initial budget off of the cash we had and what we knew we could definitely save. But, I just HAD to have videography, parents weren't able to help like they thought, we avoided family feuds by allowing extra guests, and generally towards the end we got to that eff it point.  I'm a bit freaked out but this is our only debt and we have a plan to pay it off by Christmas.

I know it's taboo but it's manageable (for us) and we wouldn't have had our wedding any other way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards