African American Weddings
Options

REALLY???!! Anyone else gone through this??

Okay, so my FI just calls me to tell me that his dad has a list of 20 to add on to our guest list. I was like, honey, we can't fit 20 more poeple into our venue. He understood and hung up. BUT, where does his dad get off adding people to the guest list this late in the game. My FI hardly speaks to his dad let alone the rest of his family. I kind of get the feeling that his father wants to turn this into a family reunion. We are basically paying for the wedding ourselves (with a little bit of help from from my parents) and is already at the max of how many guests we can have. FI is like, but what's going to happen when we see them at the family reunion at the end of August. I'm like, the truth, we are having a smaller wedding and can't accommodate more people...UGGGGHHHH!! Anyone else gone or going through this??

Re: REALLY???!! Anyone else gone through this??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sooooo glad I don't 'get down' with alot of people. I'm stuck up like that - or so I've heard. I had some relatives call and ask about their invites or whatever and I had no problem shutting them down. My immediate family isn't particularly close with either side (mom or dad's family) so I didn't feel bad saying no. The only soft moment I had was when my mom's old lady friend called to R.S.V.P. for 5 when her card clearly said 3!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think all of us have gone through this at some point or another. I get RSVP's with +4 when the line before clearly states they have 1 seat reserved in their honor...NOT 4! But, just be honest. You can't please everyone so don't kill urself trying.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not going through this, but I will say that i have no problem shutting people down eiether. These people have aot of nerve. non of these folks gave you a dime to help you with the wedding so FI shouldn't feel bad or be ashamed to tell his people like it is when you get to that family reunion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, my FI is wanting to invite so many people. I told him honey, please our reception site is not that big. After parents/grandparents/siblings the people that should be invited is close family/friends. IF neither my fiance or I have NEVER met that person before then we shouldn't be inviting them. Our parents can invite whom ever they want to a seperate function later on down that road.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think between me and FI, I have the family issues just because my family is so much bigger than his. (It's only just him, brother, and parents whereas I have cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.)We both agreed to 45 guest list with family taking precedence. If they're not blood-related to us, they're not invited.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Girl, I feel you. We have people inviting other people like it's a party. My BM invited her mom, sister and they kids. I'm like, I don't know them, never met them and I'm surely not interested in meeting them at my wedding. R U Kiddin' me right now!???!!!!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't gone through this yet, but with his family reunion coming up next week it might *scared*We set our list at 100, it is at 87 now and that's mainly HIS people!  I managed to get my immediate family in there, but that still doesn't include any of my friends.  So I guess while ya'll get 80+ I get maybe 10-15 slots!?Sorry I turned this into my own vent.  LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    aquarius125aquarius125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand your frustrations. I came out the gate saying we are have 175 guests including bridal party and parents. So everyone knows. I only wanted 100 so we compromised! When ever the topic comes up I don't move so the running joke is that my FI's family can only invite 7 ppl and I am cool with that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards