African American Weddings
Options

Last Name - What Are you Doing

Hey Ladies, quick question, when you are finally married or if you are already married, how how you going to change your name?1.  Keep middle name and change last name to FI'S2.  Delete middle name and have your original last name as your middle and add FI's last Name?3.  Keep middle name and hyphenate old last name and FI's name.

Re: Last Name - What Are you Doing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    did u see the episode of brideziila when the girl made the guy change his last name to hers. lmao
  • Options
    KenyagraceKenyagrace member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Option #1 - I fully believe the scripture "and the two shall become one"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Kenya! I am dropping my name. I really don't see a reason to keep it. My brother and cousins can pass it on...and my son has his Dad's last name...so Mrs. HisLastName it is!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am taking his last name, however I have been toying with making my middle name my former last name as well. Haven't made up my mind yet. But I will probably go with the later. My last name too dayum long to be hyphenating :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll be firstname middlename mylastname hislastname. I'm not going to hyphenate and for short order I'll be firstname hislastname. I really like my name as is and he's supportive of me keeping all of it as long as I don't hyphenate. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll be taking his last name and dropping my maiden name completely.
  • Options
    aquarius125aquarius125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I either keeping my name as is  or firstname middlename lastname hislastname for professional reasons.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I want to hypenate but my last name and his together to me don't sound good together. So I will be taking his and keeping my middle name also.
  • Options
    missevansmissevans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My original idea was to hyphenate.  I have my mother's last name since my dad was ghost and keeping it meant paying homage to her and all of the sacrifices she made for us.  I kinda messed up on the marriage license and didn't put that I planned to hyphenate, just put that I was taking his name.  Now that its done, I'm just moving my maiden name to my middle name.  I'll probably keep my name the same at work though because its too hard to get ish changed in groupwise.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to change my last name. Keeping with old tradition. Niyair, i did see that episode, she was crazy. he took her last name. lmao
    Lovin Kimmie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took his last name, anything else just seems way to complicated.
    Mr. and Mrs. Jones est. 10/18/2008
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to keep all three of my names and just take his last name and add it on, no hyphen. I am not going to change it at work or anywhere else like that - too much and too complicated. I will use it socially and w/ family.
  • Options
    adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing #3. I like my last name and my middle name I got from my grandmother.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to hyphenate my last name with his, but he refused! LOL! He gave me the whole "it means so much to me" speech. So now I am trying to see if I am going to use my entire name and just add his and for short it will be My first name and his last name. I am not sure yet.
  • Options
    braxtongirlbraxtongirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    #3 - I am the last one so I am keeping my last name. Braxton-Johnson sounds decent to me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am taking his last name, my last name and middle name both begin with M, so I will use the initial
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Keep middle name and change last name to FI'SI have no issues letting go of my maiden name. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm changing my last name to his.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going with the first option. My name is too long to hyphenate. :)
  • Options
    tangie73tangie73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keeping my name from the previous marriage because of my son. I will add FI's name to mine but not hyphenate because it will be too long. Not sure about changing my name at work. Although it would allow me to move from the Ws to As.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got rid of my name and took his name, cause he wasnt having me hyphenate and I didnt want diffrent from my children. (too bad for daddy cause he has two married girls) Oh'well.....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure yet. I keep going from MyName MiddleName MyLastName HisLastName to MyName MiddleName HisLastName since I have two brothers and 3 nephews to carry the family name. I love my MiddleName too much to change it. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I will hyphenate.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Option #1! I was at the the Social Security office the first day I got back into town....LOL! We've been married for 3 weeks and I've had my new ID and SS card for a week now :) I'm pretty traditional and I share a middle name with my mother so there was no way I was going to get rid of that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to keep my full name and add FI last name. I'm a daddy's girl on the way... lOL!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was married before and took my last name as my middle name. Now the plan is to take FI's last name and go back to my middle name.
  • Options
    missevansmissevans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ trleeWhat did you take with you to get your name changed?  The lady told me that I would have to wait for my certificate to come back and that could be up to four weeks.
  • Options
    oburrelloburrell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have hyphenated. I am Mrs. My First Name, my middle name, my maiden name-his last name. Everyone calls me Mrs. Hislastname (it's shorter and they think it's hilarious) but I always introduce myself with the hypen.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was wanting to drop my last name but my FI wanted me to do #3 Hypenate my name then his name which don't sound too bad together. We talked it through and I decided to go ahead and do the hyphenated name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    **peeking over my desk** Ummmm...i kept my maiden name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards