African American Weddings

When to send out invitations?

My wedding is September 28. My venue needs the final count by September 14. I want to make the RSVP date September 4 so I can have 10 days to contact people who haven't responded. I do have some OOT guests but we have sent them STD's already. So when should I mail them out?
Anniversary

Re: When to send out invitations?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_when-to-send-out-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:12a6890d-396c-4621-9962-1d1912b1ce6dPost:681f8f9e-ca16-4886-a8a9-cad50e1221c9">When to send out invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is September 28. My venue needs the final count by September 14. I want to make the RSVP date September 4 so I can have 10 days to contact people who haven't responded. I do have some OOT guests but we have sent them STD's already. So when should I mail them out?
    Posted by sheikscorpio88[/QUOTE]

At least a month before your RSVP date.

Example:

My wedding is Nov. 17.
    I'm sending my invites out Labor Day wknd (Sept 3)
    My RSVP Date will be Oct 10.

I'm a little different though, because my plan is to have eveything finalized a month before so I can relax for 30 days. So my final head count is due 5 days before (Nov. 12), but I plan to have that to the caterer NLT 11/1 (really 10/17, but who's counting).
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • I think it varies - some people will say 3 months and others will say 6 weeks but it will depend largely on the crowd you have.

We have 85% OOT so we sent them out exactly three months ahead of time so the overseas post could catch up with US time. For example, my sister in Turkey received her invites 3 weeks after I sent them to her and mailed back the responses 1 week later. That's 4 weeks right there - we just got her response back on Saturday. The mail in Barbados is worse!

If you're doing mostly local people - I think 6 weeks is just fine. I would recommend having your RSVP date no later than 2-3 weeks before your wedding.

Whew - that felt like a mouthful. I hope this useless knowledge will pass after the wedding...
    Vacation White Knot
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The sooner the better. Our date is December 2nd I plan to send mine out August 1st with and RSVP of Spetember 7th. That way i can invite the B list by  Spetember 30th with a RSVP of October 30th and I will have an exact count for all of my last payments. I dont want to do anything wedding related 2 weeks before
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_when-to-send-out-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:12a6890d-396c-4621-9962-1d1912b1ce6dPost:ba4c119d-34ad-48a9-91de-23117fbde826">Re: When to send out invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The sooner the better. Our date is December 2nd I plan to send mine out August 1st with and RSVP of Spetember 7th. <strong>That way i can invite the B list by  Spetember 30th with a RSVP of October 30th and I will have an exact count for all of my last payments</strong>. I dont want to do anything wedding related 2 weeks before
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea! I never thought about having double printed RSVP cards with diff dates. Great idea!!!!! I think I'm going to steal that.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_when-to-send-out-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:12a6890d-396c-4621-9962-1d1912b1ce6dPost:ba4c119d-34ad-48a9-91de-23117fbde826">Re: When to send out invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The sooner the better. Our date is December 2nd I plan to send mine out August 1st with and RSVP of Spetember 7th. That way i can invite the B list by  Spetember 30th with a RSVP of October 30th and I will have an exact count for all of my last payments. I dont want to do anything wedding related 2 weeks before
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

The only concern I would have with this is that people will RSVP early, but if things change they may not let you know they can no longer come. Every group is different but this would not be good for us. The later the RSVP the better because people will truly know what is going on in their lives.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
    [QUOTE]The sooner the better. Our date is December 2nd I plan to send mine out August 1st with and RSVP of Spetember 7th. That way i can invite the B list by  Spetember 30th with a RSVP of October 30th and I will have an exact count for all of my last payments. I dont want to do anything wedding related 2 weeks before
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

I agree. My wedding is September 1st and I sending out my invites to my OOT guest the end of May. Then my local guest will get theirs the first of July. RSVP date is August 4th. I have a B list too,
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_when-to-send-out-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:12a6890d-396c-4621-9962-1d1912b1ce6dPost:2390e21e-734e-466f-8fb7-5b620621cda1">Re: When to send out invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: When to send out invitations? : The only concern I would have with this is that people will RSVP early, but if things change they may not let you know they can no longer come. Every group is different but this would not be good for us. The later the RSVP the better because people will truly know what is going on in their lives.
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div> My FI was concerned about this but I want to people to make the decision. It seems like no mattter when they are sent out there are no shows and people who need to be hunted down. Our A list is primarily family and older people our B list is mostly friends</div>
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • @MrsSmith My bday is 11/17!!!! What a glorious day! @Sheiksscorpio I would say no earlier than 2 mos prior...that's what I plan to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
  • kaimahkaimah member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My wedding is September 2. Sending out invites July1. RSVP DATE August 17th.  Giving me two weeks to call people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards