African American Weddings
Options

***Chayb87 and Admallard***

Yay for middle Georgia weddings! I spend so much time missing Atlanta that I neglect to even inquire about people who are getting married in this area. I'd love to hear about your plans!

What venue(s) are you using? What vendors are you using? I've done a ton of research in the area and my planner has as well so let me know if you need referrals. Hope everything is coming along well so far. :)

AAW June Siggy Challenge
My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: ***Chayb87 and Admallard***

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay for Middle GA! Lol.

FI is in the Air Force so we're getting married at the chapel on Robins AFB.  I believe Admallard is as well.  We are having our reception at the VFW.  It's not too pretty, but it was cheap and I have a lot of ideas on how to make it pretty.  I feel like there weren't that many options for nice reception places in Warner Robins and it was especially hard since I'm planning from OK.

My planner has helped me find some things too.  I found my photographer myself, her name is Rebecca Cerasani and I love her.  She has great pictures at great prices.  My dj is based in ATL and Warner Robins.  My caterer is from Warner Robins and my planner actually got her to go down about $1,000 on our quote, which makes her extremely budget friendly lol.  For our flowers, FMIL's friend does wedding flowers, so she'll be doing all of our arrangements. 

I think the only thing I'm looking for is a make-up artist and hair stylist for me and my girls. I think that's it for now.  I'm just so glad I have gotten all of the big things out of the way. 

What about you?  How is your planning going, what venues are you using and what vendors do you have?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You sound like you are a pro at planning from a distance...great job.

Who is your DJ?

We are getting married at First Baptist Church in Macon (the one on New St...there are two) and we are using The Blacksmith Shop for our reception. My caterer, bartender, and linens vendors are out of Macon, my baker is in Warner Robins, my photographer is coming in from Greenville, SC, my florist is coming up from Hawkinsville, and my hair and makeup people (the "Glam Squad") are coming from Atlanta. I tried to find vendors that had all worked together and were all in one area, but I realize that I am very picky and I want what I want so they are all over the place. I really want to use my friend's FI as our DJ, but we started discussing the reception one night and I realized that we need screens and lighting to achieve what we want and he doesn't offer those two features yet...hence me asking who you are using.

AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using DJ Alexx, his website is www.djalexx4music.com.  I know he has uplighting, but I'm not sure about screens.  His prices are very good though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eagles!!! Who are you using as your Glam Squad!!! I am looking for a stylist for the Day for me and the girls.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @ Yas - Hey girl!

I'm using Tamela Brown of Salon Doorz in Lithonia (but she's coming to me) for hair for me, my girls, and my mom. Her number is (770) 896-1244 and her salon is on FB as well.

For makeup, I'm going with Dominique Doyle of So Chevon also in Atlanta, but she's mobile. Her website is www.sochevon.com and her number is (706) 593-9342 or her email is chevondoyle@gmail.com.

Both have great prices...Tam's first time client prices are incredible so if you wanted a trial it would be very affordable. Dominique's packages include a free consultation/trial.

If for some reason you want a few other referrals for makeup, I have a couple others that I know of that will come to you and that are good, but I just opted to go with Dominique instead...not a reflection on the others though.

Did you find a photographer that you like yet? If not, I have someone you may want to check out.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey and yay for Middle GA brides lol!!!! I'm getting married on Robins Air Force Base. FI is in the Army but he's currently stationed here because he's on recruiter duty...he has a year left in this area and then we're off! My reception is also on base...the Heritage Club. Both venues were free due to him being military. We're using Partyman Productions as our DJ and CTM Photography for our pics (both e-pics and wedding). We're using Publix for our cake because we're having a cupcake tier stand instead of a tradition wedding cake. For $150 cupcakes and a mini cake on top for us to cut into, Publix quoted us $150. They're also doing the groom's cake (which will look like the Raiders football stadium) for $80.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    @ ad - PLEASE let me know how Partyman works out for you! I met him at a bridal show and he has been after my planner and me about signing a contract, but I haven't had the gut feeling just yet. I contacted DJ Alexx today as PP is using him so I'm looking forward to sharing reviews with you both. That's an awesome price for your cake needs. i bet the stadium will be so cute! We should have our own GTG since the Atl ones haven't worked out for us yet. Let me know if you're interested.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @eagles: I will definitely let you know how the Partyman turns out. I've been to a couple of weddings and events that he has done and everything seems cool. I can tell that he's one of those DJs that will keep you on your feet dancing! And yes Publix has some great prices and their cakes are good too! I included a pic of what we showed Publix...instead of pink and green the cupcakes will be navy blue and white.

And I think it's a great idea to have a GTG!!! I was actually thinking the same thing and I was going to suggest it! I'm definitely up to!

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_chayb87-admallard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:16742738-8042-4638-9353-fcd9927b6005Post:0cdd28d4-dfd3-4ac1-9941-81e5845971b4">Re: ***Chayb87 and Admallard***</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ Yas - Hey girl! I'm using Tamela Brown of Salon Doorz in Lithonia (but she's coming to me) for hair for me, my girls, and my mom. Her number is (770) 896-1244 and her salon is on FB as well. For makeup, I'm going with Dominique Doyle of So Chevon also in Atlanta, but she's mobile. Her website is <a href="http://www.sochevon.com" rel="nofollow">www.sochevon.com</a> and her number is (706) 593-9342 or her email is chevondoyle@gmail.com. Both have great prices...Tam's first time client prices are incredible so if you wanted a trial it would be very affordable. Dominique's packages include a free consultation/trial. If for some reason you want a few other referrals for makeup, I have a couple others that I know of that will come to you and that are good, but I just opted to go with Dominique instead...not a reflection on the others though. Did you find a photographer that you like yet? If not, I have someone you may want to check out.
    Posted by eagles347[/QUOTE]

Thanks hun! Oh shoot! That was the stylist that you recommend on FB. I will give her a call.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_chayb87-admallard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:16742738-8042-4638-9353-fcd9927b6005Post:7ec0c9ec-c648-4f3c-844f-31d4073d849a">Re: ***Chayb87 and Admallard***</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am using DJ Alexx, his website is  <a href="http://www.djalexx4music.com" rel="nofollow">www.djalexx4music.com</a> .  I know he has uplighting, but I'm not sure about screens.  His prices are very good though.
    Posted by chayb87[/QUOTE]

Just spoke to him...he can meet all of my needs and at the lowest price I've heard yet. How did you find him if you don't mind my asking? I told him you referred me...do you know of any events he's done or any brides who have feedback? I think we're going to go with him if the consultation and references hold up, which I honestly believe will be fine. Thanks for the tip.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding planner is the one that found him.  I'm not sure where she found him though.  He does a lot of corporate parties as well as weddings and he couldn't e-mail me his references because they were paper copies, but I'm sure if you meet with him he can show them to you.  He is also a member of the BBB and he has no bad reviews on there.  You're welcome I hope it all works out and he is a good fit for you.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @ Chay - Thanks!

@ Ad - When is good for you?
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011

@Eagles: Anytime is good for me to do a GTG. Do you think anyone else would be interested in attending? Maybe we should start a separate thread to see...there might be more Middle GA brides on here lurking!!

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards