African American Weddings
Options

Invitation Wording

I'm having my mom print up my invites for the wedding.  Things were going smooth UNTIL I got down to the wording for our reception.  We have a very strict budget and guest list for the most part.  We are planning an adult-only shindig and have invited specific number of guests from each household.  My FI's sister was married back in April, she did the same thing, but a couple family members still showed up with their kids and/or extra people.  Our guests' meals will be plated, so I am going to have to draw up a seating chart and so on, so there will be LIMITED seating and I'm NOT paying for more than were invited (sorry, my dollars have been stretched enough).  How do I word on the invite that we are having an adult-only reception without it looking tacky???
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Invitation Wording

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm simply putting adult only reception on the card.  I don't think that's tacky or anything, it just is what it is.  Is your wedding in the evening?  People are more inclined to leave their kids at home with a wedding later in the day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We specified how many seats had been reserved for each guest and the number of seats matched the number of names on the invitation. Only one person...my little cousin (also a bridesmaid) asked if her child could still come. I said no and we kept it moving.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    pretteonepretteone member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies! 

Yes, the wedding is in the evening.  I'm going to leave "Adult only" on the invites.  Hopefully no one gets embarrassed that night! lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    sharonda1981sharonda1981 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have read several of these post about not having kids and I thought that would be rude. But girl after stretching our budget we decided to do no kids as well. We put in bold "Note: Adult only reception and RSVP only, so if you would like to share our day with us please do not forget to mail us your reply cards."
    This rule will strictly be inforced by our hostesses. Anyone who just drops by will have to wait in the waiting area until everyone else is seated and determined if there are any extra seats. If they get upset and leave then so be it, their fault for not taking one minute out of their busy schedule to fill out reply card and drop the already stamped card in the mail!
    But you also have to keep an open mind about saying no kids. Mostly everyone we invited are babysitters of the other invited guest. So if one guest doesn't come that's because their babysitter decided to come. For example if my sister always keeps my daughter but she decided to go then I'm out of luck stuck with no bbsitter and i don't trust just anyone bbsitting my baby girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards