African American Weddings
Options

Overcoming Bad Relationships

Before I met the love of my life, I used to talk to this guy that I knew in high school.  After a few weeks I discovered he had a wife and a kid. It was so repulsive to me... and I still dont understand it. I am very lucky that the relationship didnt get serious. Needless to say, he got the BOOT. 

I am happy that God blessed me with a man that loves me and our child. I can look back and see that God really had a plan for my life.

It's a little funny, because in high school I was the one nobody wanted to be friends with because I was not cool enough and too nerdy. But now I am having the wedding of my dreams, I have an amazing family, and an amazing job. When I run into the people from high school that made fun of me, they are shocked to see me on top. I just give all the glory to God cause I'm nothing without Him!

Just needed to vent a little LOL I guess having 57 days left till the wedding makes you think about how far you've come!

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy

Re: Overcoming Bad Relationships

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In my Michael Jackson voice-------> YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!
    I have the same issues, but like my momma told me, One day you will be the ONE they want to be like! Guess what she was right.

So in my Christina Ag voice-------- /> YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!
    KYPHILLY
  • Options
    LSASLSAS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally agree with you girl....I have been there.  Now I walk around with a huge smile on my face cause GOD is truly amazing :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could've been writing about me, lol!  I was also unpopular in high school and got made fun of.  I was a nerd and not "cool" enough, and it didn't help that I spoke "proper" and I'm light-skinned (people get stupid sometimes).  I was so happy when I graduated high school I didn't know what to do!

Also, the last guy I went on multiple dates with before I met FI had, unbenownst to me, had a steady girlfriend, and he had gotten her pregnant (and I found out on MySpace).  When I confronted him about it, he said "I don't know what to tell you" and ended it with me.  Thank goodness it didn't get too serious.  A few months into my relationship with my FI, the guy called and texted, saying he regretted his decision and tried to get back with me.  I told him I found someone better and he needed to make it work with his child's mom.

I feel lucky and blessed to have found a man who is truly devoted to me (and his actions go along with his words).  This summer I will be graduating with my doctorate and I'll be getting married, starting a new phase of my life.  So I have some idea of what you speak of.

Be proud of where you are right now and enjoy it, you deserve it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You rock, Desi! This post is wonderful because it is a testimony to God's love for us and the fact that His will prevails. Who cares what "man" thinks? If God is for us, who can be against us? Continue counting your blessings!
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_overcoming-bad-relationships?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:2ab4a781-290f-4e31-8b08-76b684a54e69Post:48a80887-a4e0-4a15-9edc-72986da7aadd">Re: Overcoming Bad Relationships</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could've been writing about me, lol!  I was also unpopular in high school and got made fun of.  I was a nerd and not "cool" enough, and <strong>it didn't help that I spoke "proper" and I'm light-skinned (people get stupid sometimes).</strong>  I was so happy when I graduated high school I didn't know what to do! 
    Posted by marinabreeze[/QUOTE]

Same here! But those "popular" girls were so busy being mean instead of working on their studies that they are not were we are today. This is why I don't use Facebook because I don't want to keep in touch with people from the past. I am moving forward.

Don't regret those bad relationships because they help mold you into a strong woman.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am thankful for ALL of my bad experiences...especially with men.  I didn't truly know what I deserved until I experienced a few bad ones.
  • Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amen to this topic! Been there, done that, wrote the book lol. I guess we had to kiss all those frogs to find our Prince Charming Laughing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Amen to that!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards