African American Weddings
Options

Not meeting with DJ until day of wedding!?

Hello ladies:)

So my fiance and I chose our photographer before we decided on a DJ. It turns out that the company that is completing our photography and videography also contracts with other individuals/conpany's to provide DJ's, transportation, hair, make up etc. Since we could not find another DJ that was willing to offer the same services for the same or about the same fee, we decided to go with the DJ that does contract work with our photographer.

My concerns: When I asked the photographer to provide us with contact information for the DJ so that we may consult with him for our wedding on 2/12/2011 I was told by the photographer that I will not be meeting with the DJ until the day of the wedding. When I asked for an explanation for this, the photographer stated that he is the primary contact person and that I should provide him with my list of music and an outline for the wedding and he will forward the info. to his DJ. He also stated that he handles business in this way so that there is no confusion or "he said, she said" conflicts.

Is this normal and do other company's have policies like this? If not, then does anyone have any recommendations as to how we should handle this matter?

Some of my family members seem to think that I am over reacting because they say that the photographer would not refer me to someone that would not provide quality services since he will also be providing a service for us.

Thanks in advance for any insight:)

Re: Not meeting with DJ until day of wedding!?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I never heard of this but then I get nervous of companies that do "everything". If there is a dispute then they will hold your pictures and anything else.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of this either.  Have you checked the reviews of this company? 

I totally understand why this makes you uncomfortable.

Have you signed a contract for the DJ services?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't like that. Too many hands in one pot personally!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of anyone doing this either, and I don't blame you for being uncomfortable.  I think it's a bunch of crap that your photographer won't give you contact information because he's afraid of "he said she said".  My advice is if this is something that you're going to keep worrying about, then do your best to find someone else.  I know that that DJ was cheaper, but you also get what you pay for, and I think it might be worthwhile to pay a little more for better peace of mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ive never heard of this and would be a bit skeptical. What dj, doesnt meet the client before their wedding ????  Im thinking you guys should ask to talk directly to him or keep looking. What if your music taste arent similar. You dont want to find out that he thinks punk rock or rap is appropriate dinner music on the day of your wedding. Are you guys suppose to provide a list for the entire reception. If thats the case you could just give him your ipod and cut his fee in half. This guy may be a good photographer, but he cant know you and your fi well enough to guarantee that this dj will set the right mood for your big day. Only you and your fi can decide that. You guys have to a good vibe from your dj and that doesnt happen if you dont meet him.
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think this is normal at all. I understand your budget concerns, but sometimes it's worth paying more to ensure your needs are met.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp's. Sounds a bit fishy & more than often you get what you pay for. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of you insight ladies! I am going to have my fiance talk to the photographer and explain our concerns once again. If he still does not want to give us the DJ's info, I am going to seek services else where!

I don't want to be worrying about if he is going  to show up with a boom box or if he is going to know our music taste etc.!

Thanks Again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi ajt04c:  I'm late on chiming in... but thats FOOLISHNESS!!!  What reputable business or business person has a problem providing contact information to a potential PAYING client?? That's ridiculous... Photo-man doesnt want to provide contact information...because there is no contact information... That's his cousin Man-Man from across the way..... Dont fall into that trap... and thats exactly what it is... a TRAP....somethin' to tie all your money up and y'all just be mad at the end....

RUN.... FOREST.....RUN!!!!

I wouldnt even ask again... just keep it movin'.... A DJ within your budget is definately out there... Keep Lookin!!!!! 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL! Thanks for the insight! I was thinking the same thing! We definately don't need Man-Man or Pooky nem  being the DJ's! LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_not-meeting-dj-until-day-of-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:2db44585-1658-4403-a2e9-0b395e839305Post:00bd0bca-8eee-4557-8c3b-8c4e3dfce4e6">Re: Not meeting with DJ until day of wedding!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL! Thanks for the insight! I was thinking the same thing! We definately don't need Man-Man or Pooky nem providing being the DJ's! LOL!
    Posted by ajt04c[/QUOTE]

My co-worker's daughter won her DJ services at a bridal show.  She was pumped bc he was free, but they had very little communication prior to her wedding.  The bride told the DJ that she and the groom liked rap.  WELL, he delivered, but not the clean versions!  It was a Greek Orthodox wedding with loads of their older family members (when I say old I mean walkers, canes, hearings aids, etc.). 

The DJ was obnoxious and did not keep the reception flowing.  I also peeped him drinking from their open bar.  Long story made short, I cringed when he played the explicit version of Lil Jon's Get Low.  When the MOH asked him to play something else, he played Khia's My neck, My back - the explicit version.  I felt bad for all the lil old people...The reception got very uncomfy as the bride and groom and their parents argued with the DJ.

I learned the following:
    -Communication and face to face time with your DJ is essential. A bad DJ can ruin your reception.
    -You get what you pay for...

I never really understood either of those points until that wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards