African American Weddings
Options

Knottie of the Week - Carla1019

2»

Re: Knottie of the Week - Carla1019

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_knottie-of-the-week-carla1019?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:304951f3-1408-4dfa-a1d0-f3d62efa42e9Post:8ddf186b-eae7-40ee-89df-f2ffca10a8d9">Re: Knottie of the Week - Carla1019</a>:
    [QUOTE]Carla! I feel like I know you already but it was great to know so much more!  I want to know more about you being introduced to your FI culture. <strong>Are there any customs or traditions your FI has introduced you to that you really enjoy or find interesting? Is there anything you will incorportate in your life together, maybe something you didn't necessarily do before? p.s. still waiting on that bridal shower picture!!!
    </strong>Posted by MrsBoss2012[/QUOTE]

Great questions! Yes, he has introduced to me several aspects of his culture I did not know before. Mostly little things like the way I great someone older than me. The men do a slight bow and the ladies sort of curtsey before greeting each other.

When visiting his parent's church I sometimes where the traditional dress with the headwraps. At the reception we will also change into traditional clothing and dance out while the guests spray money.

As far as anything major...nothing really. My FI has been here since he was a child so he considers himself Americanized.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to get my friends to send me some pictures from the shower.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    Hey Carla! Nice to meet you! I swear I posted, but TK swallowed my post :(

I love the way you two met, and you're a pool shark? Wow... it must be fun when people don't know your skills (umm...  hustler!).  Costa Rica is SO fun! Where are you going? There's SO much to do there. I am sure you'll have a great time.  

Very sorry to hear your parents won't be there, but happy that you are good with the day and see that it will be your dream wedding! Sending lots of love and prayer and positive vibes!

Michele
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_knottie-of-the-week-carla1019?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:304951f3-1408-4dfa-a1d0-f3d62efa42e9Post:ebbe2b5c-3112-4ff4-a98a-2187e855eb4b">Re: Knottie of the Week - Carla1019</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knottie of the Week - Carla1019 : Howdy. WOW! your day is around the corner, where is your venue?
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

Bella Elegante.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_knottie-of-the-week-carla1019?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:304951f3-1408-4dfa-a1d0-f3d62efa42e9Post:df455414-6771-413d-8073-c123db6cda28">Re: Knottie of the Week - Carla1019</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Carla! Nice to meet you! I swear I posted, but TK swallowed my post :( I love the way you two met, and you're a pool shark? Wow... it must be fun when people don't know your skills (umm...  hustler!).  Costa Rica is SO fun! Where are you going? There's SO much to do there. I am sure you'll have a great time.   Very sorry to hear your parents won't be there, but happy that you are good with the day and see that it will be your dream wedding! Sending lots of love and prayer and positive vibes! Michele
    Posted by mejai1[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the well wishes! We are going to the Riu Hotel Resort in Guanacaste. It had great reviews from some of the knotties on the Honeymoon board and I also read reviews from Trip Advisor. I think we made a good choice for us.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    Very Nice Bio and Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_knottie-of-the-week-carla1019?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:304951f3-1408-4dfa-a1d0-f3d62efa42e9Post:92cc2d5d-238d-4b4f-9cf3-6058b69a635a">Re: Knottie of the Week - Carla1019</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knottie of the Week - Carla1019 : My FI is Nigerian (Yoruba) and he has lived here most of his life. Thank you! It has taken a long time to come to this point of acceptance. I read self help books, I joined a support group, I went to therapy. Many adults that grew up JW but break away normally go through a similar process as people leaving a cult. You are taught to only fellowship with other Witnesses so when you leave most of your family will turn their back on you and your so called friends. We are also left with social awkwardness becasue we were so sheltered and misinformed about EVERYTHING.
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this my FI grew up JW and this makes some of what he does make sense
    I pray your parents come
    Congrats
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards