African American Weddings
Options

Rehersal Dinner ideas

SO, I know I don't post on here often, but I NEED your ideas!  FI has decided that he would like to have the rehersal dinner at a friends house rather than at a restaurant.  Even though I think this will be more work, more money, and 1 more thing for ME to plan, I will go along with it.  I need ideas on how to make this more than back yard get together.  I toyed with the idea of a luau, BUT in order to do it right, it's rather pricey.  I want him to FEEL like he has contributed to the planning of the wedding, despite the fact that he has NO ideas for this rehersal dinner that he wants to have at his friends house.  So themes and ideas are MORE THAN WELCOME!!!   Thanks!  I look forward to hearing from you!

Re: Rehersal Dinner ideas

• Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome.  We are doing a southern style pig-pickin'.  We decided to go with that theme because we live in North Carolina and it's a popular southern tradition.  A pig pickin is a barbecue which includes barbecuing a whole pig.  I think this will be a fun down to earth way for our familes to meet and get together.  Sometimes having a rehearsal dinner at a restaurant can be so impersonal.  The casual setting of an outdoor barbecue really sets the stage for mixing and mingling.  But I know what you are saying, it could be more work.  Just enlist the help of your bridal party to lessen the load.  A luau sounds like a great idea.  MIABRIDE on this forum is doing a luau.  You may get some tips from her.  You can also incorporate elements from your weding theme in your backyard get together, like perhaps if you're having a wine theme you can hire an sommelier from your local wine store or a nearby vineyard to share some tips on wine tasting.  You may also consider game stations like a volleyball station, a big kiddie pool with bubbles and extra large wands for the kids, a card table for a spades tournament.  An idea that I have for a summer party is to rent a projector and screen and show movies outside.  I'm not sure if that would be a lil' distracting for a rehearsal dinner thought.  If I think of something else I'll send you a page.  HTH.
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One way to think of a theme is come up with several things that you and your FI absolutely love and build off that.  

For instance, if you both love golf - you could set up miniature golf/putting courses around the yard and have golf-theme decorations.

Or if you both love food from New Orleans, have a Mardi Gras-theme celebration with the typical NOLA colors, beads, masks, food, music, etc.  

That may give you a few ideas, and it would be a nice way to involve both of your families in something that you love.  Good luck!  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooooo!  Good ideas Cincy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Even though we are not having our rehearsal dinner at a house. We are thinking about having a taco bar for our's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards