African American Weddings
Options

Do I really need....

makeup?  I normally dont wear any and I'm struggling with whether or not to wear it for my upcoming wedding.

We're having an outdoor wedding at 4pm in mid June.  I definitely want to at least put something on so that I'm not 'shiny', but I'm not sure if I really need to wear foundation, blush, etc for 'color'. 

I have some mineral makeup that I rarely wear that I could use to cut the shine.    I'd also be fine with wearing lip gloss (with some color) and maybe eyeliner, but as when it comes to applying eyeshadow, blush, etc....I'd be at a total loss. 
Our budget is limited, so the thought of hiring a MUA at the expense of another (preferred) item..... Undecided

I have medium brown skin.  Do the veteran makeup wearers think I'd be 'washed out' in my photos or would my 'minimal' mineral makeup approach be more than enough?

Thanks!

Re: Do I really need....

• Options
    desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a veteran LOL. I think that since it's your wedding, you should do something different than what you are used to looking like. With that said, you can def go light on the makeup. I think mineral powder, a little blush, some mascara, minimal eye color, and a tinted gloss will be fine. MAC has makeup applying classes sometimes, so you can learn to do it yourself. Youtube has tons of tutorials also. HTH!
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • Options
    beethebumblebeethebumble member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think makeup (even if you do light makeup) is kinda necessary.  One, you want your face to show in your pics.  Two, a light foundation can keep shine down.  My cousin still doesn't show her wedding pictures because she looked too shiny & sweaty.  They've been married 12 years!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should definitely wear some makeup...even if light as you described. What Desi suggetsted would probably be fine, but if you are like me and worried about applying it yourself, solicit someone else. Since it isn't in your budget, ask a friend to help you out. I'm sure they won't mind...just be sure to pick someone who does a good job with their own makeup and who you can trust to do it to your liking and not what they think you should like. You definitely don't want to be hiding your pictures after your big day!
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can even go to the MAC counter and have them do your make up.  Just tell them you want a natural look.  If anything you'd just have to buy a lip gloss for like $13 or something.  That's what I did for my winter ball (except...I ended up spending like $250 on stuff...I'm a make up junkie).  I agree with everyone else...you want to look like an upgraded version of yourself on your wedding, not just your regular self..it's YOUR WEDDING GIRL..you're gonna be the DIVA of the DAY and you don't have to look like one of the Queens on Ru Paul's Drag Race to do so.  Just tell them to keep it simple.  I would just start going to the MAC counter and letting them experiment with ya.  Tell them exactly what you told us and see what they can come up with for you.  or you can find a friend or Bridesmaid that knows about applying make up and if they're in town start experimenting now as well.  That shouldn't cost you anything.
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The MAC counters in my area have a $50 purchase minimum for full face applications. Yeah...I have really seen them do half of someone's face.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't wear makeup either, so I totally understand where you're coming from. But I decided that I want to wear it for my wedding day so the pix are cute. I'm either letting my gay friend do my makeup (he's really good at creating natural looks) or I'm going to a MAC counter (depending on where I have my wedding).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hear you and if you don't feel comfortable with make up, then that's one thing and then don't do it.
    But if money is the reason, be resourceful, or you will regret it later on, You do want to look like an upgraded version of yourself on the wedding day. So I agree with taking free classes at MAC or checking out youtube videos. Use what you already have at home and you may not even need to buy anything (maybe lipgloss? And if you don't want to buy it, maybe borrow one of your girls)
    I hope this helps!

oh yeah, google/youtube natural make-ups. They are techniques out there where you can have make-up to look as natural as possible, while highlighting your best facial features and making you "pop".... in a natural way :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much ladies!
    I was more nervous about applying it myself and looking like a clown than worrying about actually wearing the makeup itself.

I have at least two sisters that would be able to hook me up, but I love the idea of watching some YouTube vidoes and utilizing the makeup counters personnel's expertise.

Thanks!
  • Options
    prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would say possibly purchasing a Mac Studio Fix compact power to foundation. My skin can't handle foundation so I only wear the studio fix compact power to foundation from Mac. As others have said that is an option to go there and get your make up done. A couple of years ago I went and had mine done for free and had to spend a minimum of 30.00 to have it done. I simply bought the lip gloss and lipstick  they put on me (for reapplication) and the powder. Or if you have lashes put on that can be one of your expenses the cost of the lashes and then the lip gloss and whatever else.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Make-up:YES and all of the prevous ideas are good, especially the tutorials!
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else.  I think you should wear makeup on your wedding day.  But I understand your concerns.  I do not wear makeup and hate the way it feels on my face, but I do feel that I need something.  I have been considering the airbrush makeup because it is so light, however, it is so expensive.  And yeah, Eagles is right there is a $50 minimum purchase at MAC.  I would suggest a trial run just so that you can become comfortable with the idea of wearing it so that it doesn't feel totally foreign on your face on the wedding day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would talk to some of the girls at the MAC store.  Alot of them do freelance work on the side. I'm sure one of them would me happy to do your makeup at a minial charge so that they can add the experience to their portfolio.  I would even go so far as to have them come to you, and do your makeup on the day of your wedding.  I negotiated a lot  with my vendors, with the idea in mind that it is a recession, and vendors are willing to negotiate their prices.

Mrs. Natasha B. Williams May 28, 2010
    The Journey Began.....

N & B Engagement Photos
    imageFrom Vegas 2010
    imageFrom Las Vegas Wedding 2010 imageFrom Las Vegas Wedding 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!
    I'm going to take a trip to the mall with my daughter this weekend to give it a try.  If nothing else, it gives me a few extra weeks to get used to applying it myself. 

I have a couple of friends who'll 'take pity' on me and help show me the proper way to apply various components.

Thanks again!  Wonderful advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards