July 2012 Weddings
Options

Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?

Am I nuts? I had my first wedding dream last night and the whole time I was trying to get someone to go pick up the pizza. I mentioned it to FI and he said it was a great idea! Now I'm really thinking about it. WTF!?
Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development

Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?

• Options
    It would likely save you a lot of money...is your wedding really casual?  If not...I would probably go with pizza for a casual rehearsal dinner or a late night snack.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    If it's what you like then go for it...but make sure you have some healthy choices, too.  And obviously this means that your wedding is going to be really casual, I'm assuming?  No offense but I wouldnt want to dress up to eat pizza hut. 
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    i went to a wedding where for lunch before the wedding, the bride's parents ordered pizza for everyone that was at the hotel where the room block was. it was a nice gesture and a nice casual meal for everyone to grab as they were preparing for the wedding. pizza seems very casual for an actual catered meal when people are extremely dressed up.  if this is what you want, i say go for it! but it will definitely make your event seem much more casual.
  • Options
    Well the WP is all dressing up, but the reception is in a local fire hall, so its not like a fancy location or anything.
  • Options
    i think attire and decor can really set the tone for the type of event your having not necessarily the location.  I would love to go to a wedding that was pretty casual (I'm talking heels and a cocktail dress for girls and guys in maybe khaki pants and collar shirt) and have pizza, cause I mean, who doesn't like pizza?
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:85e70aa2-53b3-4256-b5d4-1fc6e6262db5">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think attire and decor can really set the tone for the type of event your having not necessarily the location.  I would love to go to a wedding that was pretty casual (I'm talking heels and a cocktail dress for girls and guys in maybe khaki pants and collar shirt) and have pizza, cause I mean, who doesn't like pizza?
    Posted by Madisonpenny[/QUOTE]

I totally agree - and instead of just having pizza - why not have them cater some salad and pizza too? I've never been to a wedding that just had pizza - but hell - Pizza Hut pizza is better than some of the food I've had at wedding receptions before. :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it would be fine for a casual wedding like madisonpenny was saying, but judging from the pic in your sig (long BM dresses) I think it would be really tacky. There are other cheap options that are classier IMO. I've heard of brides on here doing platters from Costco or Sams, I would choose that over pizza hut.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I guess it would depend on what other things you have to go with the pizza (for the lactose or gluten intolerant guests?) and how it all ends up being presented/displayed. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:85e70aa2-53b3-4256-b5d4-1fc6e6262db5">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think attire and decor can really set the tone for the type of event your having not necessarily the location.  I would love to go to a wedding that was pretty casual (I'm talking heels and a cocktail dress for girls and guys in maybe khaki pants and collar shirt) and have pizza, cause I mean, who doesn't like pizza?
    Posted by Madisonpenny[/QUOTE]

You'd like my wedding ;)

We're having pizza and salads. My wedding is also incredibly laid back and casual though. Like so casual I'm pretty sure the guys aren't wearing tuxes. I've left this up to FI because I really don't care. My girls are wearing knee length dresses and flats (they don't like heels).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:3cb69577-e697-4426-8fa2-53071bfa3a2e">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater? : You'd like my wedding ;) We're having pizza and salads. My wedding is also incredibly laid back and casual though. Like so casual I'm pretty sure the guys aren't wearing tuxes. I've left this up to FI because I really don't care. My girls are wearing knee length dresses and flats (they don't like heels).
    Posted by avsfan33[/QUOTE]

so...where're our invites?  It could be like 4 weddings style, but without the bashing :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:f4ec8968-6cbb-4bfa-90ab-a5e042fc91b4">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater? : so...where're our invites?  It could be like 4 weddings style, but without the bashing :)
    Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

In the mail I swear! :P
  • Options
    Oh I love pizza hut! Really, some wedding food aren't that good so I'd be happy with a good slice of pizza. I'd provide more options though, or a salad. Who doesn't like pizza?
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mmm pizza, I love pizza.  I think its a great idea but you know your crowd and what they would think about it.  I think I heard somewhere too that Pizza Hut does pasta dishes as well, I think you could pull it off.

Anniversary
  • Options
    i think it would come across as a lot classier if you got a whole spread from pizza hut, as other posters suggested. 

the pasta from pizza hut is actually quite good! and it comes family style in huge buffet tins so would work well for a DIY buffet with some salad, breadsticks, appetizers, and pizzas. that would make for a great casual dinner! i just wouldn't do ONLY pizza. 
  • Options
    Well I was looking into it today and thinking, pizza(lots of kinds), pasta (alfredo and marinara), and breadsticks. We could get bags of salad and do it that way so it would be cheaper. I'm just trying to figiure out a way to feed 180-200 people as cheaply as possible.
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding like a total snob, I feel bad for anyone who thinks pizza hut is good pizza. I'm so spoiled with good NY/NJ pizza. /snob Regardless, I would be so down with going to a wedding that served any kind of pizza because come on, who doesn't love pizza?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I think this is something you should definitely keep looking into!!!
    It would be lots of fun, and unexpected- especially if you kept it as a surprise!
    Make sure to do a spread buffet style though, and that it is not a formal wedding. like pps have said.  And seriously though, everyone loves pizza or pasta. 
    But this is coming from the chick who is using Buffalo Wild Wings as rehearsal dinner. :)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:71710268-4a0f-4b61-adf2-ef3ea6a972fb">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But this is coming from the chick who is using Buffalo Wild Wings as rehearsal dinner. :)
    Posted by elizabethmae315[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>OMG I love this. Are you just getting a reservation for the amount of people in your group or is there private dining available through them?</div>
  • Options
    Honestly I wouldn't do Pizza Hut. It's a fast-food chain with no character, and like K888 said, it's really not very good. I'm not against the idea of pizza, but is there another pizza option near you that's good? Or look into grocery store or other inexpensive restaurant catering (BBQ style, etc.). I just think a local restaurant would seem more personal to your guests then some big national pizza chain.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Feed them what you want. You know your crowd better than we do and if you think it will work then go for it. You aren't going to have to worry about breaking your budget, there will be a good variety and everyone will get a big meal.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:cb984dc2-2a03-4d00-862f-b75cf68fdcdf">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it would be fine for a casual wedding like madisonpenny was saying, but judging from the pic in your sig (long BM dresses) I think it would be really tacky. <strong>There are other cheap options that are classier IMO. I've heard of brides on here doing platters from Costco or Sams, I would choose that over pizza hut.
    </strong>Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

I agree with Meagan.  I don't even like pizza hut pizza IMO I think it is gross and fastfood pizza.  Plus you need to make sure you have a place to keep it so it is really hot.  I would be pissed if I went to a wedding and was eating cold pizza and hard breadsticks from sitting out.  If you are having around 200 people by the time the last person makes it on line to get a slice of pizza it will for sure be cold or room temperature. 

Eventhough pizza is great I would not want to serve it at a wedding.  I would look into other catering options such as pastas, chicken, salad etc.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:9da1ad16-4e17-4fff-9ea4-b1b5b7d136b4">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I was looking into it today and thinking, pizza(lots of kinds), pasta (alfredo and marinara), and breadsticks. We could get bags of salad and do it that way so it would be cheaper. I'm just trying to figiure out a way to feed 180-200 people as cheaply as possible.
    Posted by mandctaft[/QUOTE]

<div>That sounds so good! I'd prefer that anytime over a lukewarm 5-course sitting dinner. But that's me. Anyway, make sure you can serve it hot like pp said.</div><div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div></div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's your wedding.  If you like it, do it! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_thinking-about-getting-pizza-hut-to-cater?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:458bc1c0-58d9-428f-992d-d2fc54ab51f9Post:f62cdfad-31e6-4698-9133-e8f8a9524085">Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thinking about getting Pizza Hut to cater? : That sounds so good! I'd prefer that anytime over a lukewarm 5-course sitting dinner. But that's me. Anyway, make sure you can serve it hot like pp said.
    Posted by Elinetrouwt[/QUOTE]

I agree. :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's fine but I would pay attention to some PP's suggestions because they bring up very good points. I would continue looking into this but also all your possible options. For example different pizza restaurants. You might even find better priced and better quality pizzas out there because the truth is Pizza Hut is overpriced when it comes to the quality you're paying for...! I think the Coscos and Sam's suggestion is also great. Last Sunday I had some AMAZING crab cakes and wings all bought at Costcos for great prices. There might also be some local restaurants you like or just other non fast food restaurants that could cater at affordable prices. So yes, I think it's good... just check out other similar options first before settling on Pizza Hut :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards