African American Weddings
Options

Bridal Shower Recap (Long)

I just wanted to start off by saying that despite everything that went on yesterday, it turned out to be a success and everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves. But I must go into detail about yesterday.  Some of you know the back story.

So I our shower is scheduled for 2pm so I go over to FI aunt's house the supposed     "Host" even though "We" ended up paying for this shower, around 11pm to help setup. Now let me tell you that her house is huge and it sits on at least a half acre if not more of land. She is really into gardening and is particular about her yard so she was all gun ho about the appearance of it. Because of all the rain we had recently, she didn't gut the grass until the night before, so when I show up there is 2 of FI cousins, 2 uncles and her doing yard work. This chick ended up having us hand rake the entire yard and mulching. FI and FMIL was on the other side of town, because they were getting all the food that family pitched in to make for us together so they couldn't be there.  We didn't even start setting up the stuff for the party until an hr before it was suppose to start. At around 2 when all of my guest were supposed to be showing up, I am done some what with the setting up and I have to run and take a shower. Once I get down I realize FMIL forgot to turn the sternos on the food and now all the food is cold. So we are running trying to warm the food up in the kitchen to get it hot and now a slew of people are starting to arrive.  Mind you the "Host" is no where to be found. After 2 hours behind schedule we no start serving the food.

Now let me tell you the weather man was calling for severe thunderstorms, hail, and a possible tornado that day. All summer long it did not rain not one weekend except for last weekend. The one weekend I have an event they call for severe weather. Well 15 minutes into serving the food, a gust of wind came through, the sky turned black, and then the sky just opened up like a waterfall. Everyone had to run in the house. Mind you we had about 100pp but luckily his aunt's house was big enough to accommodate everyone. All the men had to run to save the food and bring in the chairs for everyone to sit. We ended up scattering the food throughout the house and the DJ ended up setting up shop on the enclosed porch.

I must say that the DJ did a wonderful job getting everyone to party, too bad I can't take him with me for the wedding. I'm running around making sure everyone was ok while FMIL was making sure all the food was together. FMIL and I ended up cleaning everything and still the "Host" was no where to be found. I didn't drink nor eat, and I didn't even use the bathroom the entire night. 

Everyone pretty much headed put around 10pm and shortly after we headed home. We get home and start unloading the car and realize that we left a whole box of wine and liquor that friends gave to use at his aun't house. I immediately call them because I don't want them to toss it because they don't drink. Once we are done I go to park the car, but the car won't start. My battery has died. its now 11:30pm and no one is around and roadside is talking an 1hr. After several attempts we finally get someone to help us. So I get in the house put all the food away and close to 1am I finally get to eat.

Well by 6am I was up because my body was sore that I couldn't sleep. I am so glad this shower is officially over. I will say FI did an excellent job organized and coordinating everything. I didn't have to lift a finger planning it. Unfortunately, FI did not take one picture together in all the madness. I am hooping someone has something.  Now in 28 days we are jet setting off to paradise and not looking back. Phew!

Re: Bridal Shower Recap (Long)

• Options
    Wow, you had one heck of a day. The most important thing is you and your guest were able to enjoy yourselves in spit of the misshaps. Spend today relaxing and enjoy your gifts. You'll laugh about it in the future.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, what a day! GLad it turned out well. It'll make some great story tellong
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow 100 ppl I know u got some nice things glad everything worked out
  • Options
    WOW! what a day! good thing it's behind you! Did you ever find out where your MIA aunty in law was?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Wow you had one heck of a day. I am glad to see that things worked out despite all the glitches. Did you all ever find your MIA aunt??
  • Options
    You did have an eventful day! But it's all good!!!! Yea, did aunt show up? 

Cha
    click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary
  • Options
    She was there the entire time. She would go upstairs when things needed to be done. When FMIL and I was done cleaning she came and got a piece of pie and sat down. I didn't have time for her nor her foolishness so I ignored her. We actually had to go over there today to get the box of wine we left. And she was so happy like she threw a sucessful party. I'll let her have that one but everyone saw who really did all the work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards