African American Weddings

Lunch with FMIL?

So I'm thinking of having lunch with my FMIL when I am in Belgium in a couple weeks. She and I have only had two seperate times to talk alone and they were never relaxed settings. The first time I believe was not soon after we told his parents the original wedding date (was this coming August). She took me for a walk in the snow, but that was a hectic day and I was upset so it wasn't to much of a conversation. The next time was shopping with her and her husband in Brussels. She came in the changing room with me at H&M (veryyyy awkward) we talk a bit, but most of her talking about my weight.

I have decided that she and I need to get together in a peaceful setting, I was thinking my FIs apartment. I was thinking of making lunch and cocktails. She and I would sit together and she can tell me all about their family and I can tell her about mine. I can express to her my love for her son. I can express my happiness of starting a family with him someday. I can understand her concerns and we can maybe come to a meeting point. I want us to bond because when I get married I will be living in Europe and I would love to have a motherly figure since my mom will be all the way in California. I want to talk to her about the fact that I want kids, I want to discuss raising children. I want us to just have a good time and learn more about one another from one another.

I've been brainstorming a light lunch menu, something nice, but something for us to be able to talk and enjoy. I hope she will accept my invitation.
Photobucket
"Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours"
Janae & Olivier

Anniversary

Re: Lunch with FMIL?

• KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be a good idea. Maybe you two can clear the air.
  • edited December 2011
    That's a great idea!! I'm sure she'll accept your invitations :)
    ~ Planning Bio~
    ~ Married Bio~
    ~ Married August 15, 2010 ~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    All You Need Is Love....
  • miah_23_ncbmiah_23_ncb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that is a good idea.  maybe talk to your FI about somethings she likes to eat & or does not eat just to be on the safe side. I hope she accepts.
  • ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea. Why not go to a restaurant? There's no work, no cleanup, and (most importantly) no chance for her to insult your cooking. Either way, I think it's an excellent way to show effort and grace toward them. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_lunch-fmil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:55f9b46d-50c2-484e-b592-e58778201489Post:58ccbd03-f28b-49b5-be39-01ceea5570cf">Re: Lunch with FMIL?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a great idea. Why not go to a restaurant? There's no work, no cleanup, and (most importantly) no chance for her to insult your cooking. Either way, I think it's an excellent way to show effort and grace toward them. GL!
    Posted by ufsweetiebear[/QUOTE]

Ditto....Perfect idea
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • edited December 2011

I think that sounds like a great idea. Let us know what you decide.
  • edited December 2011
    This is great - and if she loves her son - she will accept your invitation.
    I'm sure this makes your FI happy too.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards