Washington-Seattle
Options

Cake Service Question

Evening ladies (and gent)!I'll be ordering a cake from a bakery but I have some questions about cutting and serving the cake - Option 1 - Formal wedding cake to feed everyone.  FI and I cut and take our bites but then does my caterer cut it or should I rely on my mom (I've heard it's her task?) to cut it?  Then does everyone just come up and get a slice?  Seems like it would take a while for 200 people to do that...Option 2 - Small formal wedding cake for FI and I then sheet cake in the kitchen or something.  Again, who cuts this?  And how is it served? Serving each person at their table would increase staffing costs and limit ability to choose flavors.  Maybe they cut it a little early and bring it out on a cart/tray?Sorry, but I haven't been to a ton of weddings so I don't have much experience.

Re: Cake Service Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    our venue charged to bring a cake in - it included cake service.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will have our wedding cake, cut it and then the staff takes it into the kitchen to be cut and plated, then it is served to the guests at the table. Are you having a seated dinner? If so, the same wait staff for each table would serve the cake at the guest's seat. I have never heard of the mother cutting the cake--that's a lot of work! But perhaps it is more common out here (I am from NJ)?FWIW, I have never chosen the flavor of wedding cake I received at any wedding I've attended. One wedding I went to recently gave everyone two small slices, one chocolate and one vanilla. I thought that was a nice touch because I don't like chocolate cake. ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most places won't allow a family member or any guest to cut the cake. Even if they have a current food handlers card, that doesn't matter. The venue/caterer is liable and so THEY would be the ones to get into trouble if someone found/ate something bad (I know GROSS) but you understand they won't take any risks.FI and I plan on having a cake that will serve most of our guests then also a sheet cake for the rest, PLUS extra servings because if the cake is good...people may want more.(The extra is really for those who aren't haveing anything else for dessert but the cake).HTH
    Steph and Brad 10-1-10

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken".
    See my bio!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You have your caterer do the cutting. Some venues (if it's inhouse catering/serving) charge an extra cake cutting fee, just beware. I would not have your mom do it, she should get to enjoy the event not work. The cheapest option if you are on a budget is a small formal cake with a sheet cake in the kitchen. If you do the large cake to feed everyone, then what I've seen is the servers cut it and put the pieces on the table for guests to come up and select (if you aren't having a formal seated meal). That way, people can choose their own flavors.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    jeannigirljeannigirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is a question I would direct to the person in charge of where you are holding your Reception. They would be able to answer that question. I know that alot of brides are doing the Option 2. I would not have any family or friends cutting the cake. Most Venues will charge for a cake cutting fee,(which I think is ridiclous) and do serve your guests
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!  We're having the wedding at a community club and we've pretty much been told that they don't care what we do as long as we don't damage the building... while nice, that leaves a lot of open questions.Thank you again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards