July 2012 Weddings
Options

BREAKING: Washington state Senate approves marriage equality bill

We are so happy!!! I cant stop my tears from coming down.

www.lgbtqnation.com
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker It's a Girl!! BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BREAKING: Washington state Senate approves marriage equality bill

• Options
    ElinetrouwtElinetrouwt member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Great news!

I feel so lucky to live in a country where this has been approved years ago (even though I'll have an oldfashioned straight marriage).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh, I hadn't heard - how exciting!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    that is amazing Fabi & Nita!!!!
  • Options
    That is super exciting! I'm so glad to hear about this equality finally being allowed.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Wonderful!  Long overdue!  I am also proud to say that I live in a state where marriage equality exists.
  • Options
    mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    So exciting!!! I hope there will be equality in every state soon. It's painful for me to see how some people are totally against same sex marriage. I have friends who have been hurt by this. This is a great news!

ETA: Do you know where I can find which states have passed and which states haven't?
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    great news :)
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    The states that currently allow same-sex partnerships are

Washington
    Massachusetts
    Vermont
    Iowa
    New York
    Connecticut
    Rhode Island
    Oregon (domestic partnerships)
    New Jersey (civil union)

The rest of the states have a variation of DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) or a constitutional amendment in place which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/a/samesexcomp.htm
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_breaking-washington-state-senate-approves-marriage-equality-bill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:46ee5327-42c1-4289-9679-29ab2e2cee2fPost:03634d04-2c03-46b4-8f2b-678d33542834">Re: BREAKING: Washington state Senate approves marriage equality bill</a>:
    [QUOTE]The states that currently allow same-sex partnerships are Washington Massachusetts Vermont Iowa New York Connecticut Rhode Island Oregon (domestic partnerships) New Jersey (civil union) The rest of the states have a variation of DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) or a constitutional amendment in place which defines marriage as between a man and a woman. <a href="http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/a/samesexcomp.htm" rel="nofollow">http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/a/samesexcomp.htm</a>
    Posted by penny12986[/QUOTE]

Wow that's all? I'm sad that Minnesota isn't on the list, heck more states should be on the list.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Incredibly exciting and SO LONG OVERDUE

ETA: NJ's same-sex equality marriage bill is going in front of the Assembly today!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Great News!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Great news! I agree it is long overdue.
  • Options
    This makes me very happy!!!!
    Fabi & Nita- do you live in Washington? Not that it makes any less exciting if you dont....
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm up in canada where everyone can get married to whom ever they love and i can't understand how in a 1st world country like the US people can be denied such a basic right. I am very excited to hear that Washington has made the leap!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_breaking-washington-state-senate-approves-marriage-equality-bill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:46ee5327-42c1-4289-9679-29ab2e2cee2fPost:3aaf5c06-1c48-41f7-822e-5f2282aa7171">Re: BREAKING: Washington state Senate approves marriage equality bill</a>:
    [QUOTE]So exciting!!! I hope there will be equality in every state soon. It's painful for me to see how some people are totally against same sex marriage. I have friends who have been hurt by this. This is a great news! ETA: Do you know where I can find which states have passed and which states haven't?
    Posted by mekiakoo[/QUOTE]

<strong><u>US States That Recognize Gay Marriage</u></strong> <p class="main3">
    <strong>New York</strong> - Same-sex marriage became legal on July 24, 2011 under the Marriage Equality Act. The Marriage Equality Act does not have a residency restriction like some other states. and allows religious organizations to decline from officiating same sex wedding ceremonies.

<strong>Massachusetts</strong> - On May 17, 2004 Massachusetts became the first U.S. state to legalize same-sex marriage. The State of Massachusetts also issues licenses to gay couples from New Mexico and Rhode Island since neither state explicitly prohibits same-sex marriage.

<strong>Connecticut</strong> - began performing marriages of same-sex couples on
    Nov 12, 2008.

<strong>Iowa</strong> - Same-sex marriage in Iowa became legal on April 27, 2009.

<strong>Maine</strong> - legalized same-sex marriage on May 6, 2009. The law will take effect on Sept 11, 2009, pending a possible people's veto.

<strong>Vermont</strong> - will allow same-sex marriage starting Sept 1, 2009. After this date no further civil unions will be created. Civil unions created prior to this date will retain their status, but these couples will have the option of entering a marriage.

<strong>New Hampshire</strong> - Same-sex marriage became legal on Jan 1, 2010. Civil Unions will no longer be performed and will become marriages by Jan 1, 2011 unless otherwise dissolved, annulled or previously converted to marriage.

<strong>District of Columbia</strong> - Same-sex marriage in the District of Columbia was legalized on December 18, 2009. Marriage licenses became available on March 3, 2010, and marriages began on March 9, 2010. </p>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_breaking-washington-state-senate-approves-marriage-equality-bill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:46ee5327-42c1-4289-9679-29ab2e2cee2fPost:c04a0d5b-bf5e-4819-bb16-82f8c8bce648">Re: BREAKING: Washington state Senate approves marriage equality bill</a>:
    [QUOTE]This makes me very happy!!!! Fabi & Nita- do you live in Washington? Not that it makes any less exciting if you dont....
    Posted by elizabethmae315[/QUOTE]

Yes we are so excited because we live in WA :D
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_breaking-washington-state-senate-approves-marriage-equality-bill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:46ee5327-42c1-4289-9679-29ab2e2cee2fPost:97100c90-0ea7-4934-b1b6-674b138e602a">Re: BREAKING: Washington state Senate approves marriage equality bill</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm up in canada where everyone can get married to whom ever they love and i can't understand how in a 1st world country like the US people can be denied such a basic right. I am very excited to hear that Washington has made the leap!
    Posted by l_everett[/QUOTE]

We always say how we are moving to Canada cause we are tired of the US lol
  • Options
    THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

When i 1st found The Knot i saw that they had a gay wedding board, i post there a bit but when i found the July 2012 i was scared to post but im so glad i did. I want to say you are an amazing group of ladies!
    Thank you (hugs)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards