African American Weddings
Options

Your Friends...

Do you and your FI tend to have more married or single mutual friends?

What about your crew? His?

Do you think the relationship status of your friends plays any role in your own relationship?

My FI is one of the first of his friends to get engaged...I have a pretty even mix of married and single friends. Our mutual friends tend to be single or dating. I don't think our friends' relationship statuses have any heavy influence on our relationship, but I would like to associate with more married couples in the months and years to come. I think positive relationship models are very encouraging. Besides, sometime single friends want to do things we just can't do anymore...
AAW June Siggy Challenge
My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Your Friends...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that we are probably going to have more married friends than single ones.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We both have a mix of married and single friends.  Since we don't live in the same city, we haven't established mutual friends yet - although we have both met each other's friends on trips and everyone got along well.  I would like to maintain both single and married friends - I think there are good and bad points of both (as in everything).  Single friends may sometimes have an agenda that doesn't mesh with being married, and married friends sometimes tell you too much info about their relationship or try to commiserate all the time about the messed up things their man/your man has done.  I don't play that mess!  My business stays between my FI and I.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:800cc610-bd54-410e-8861-202e4259b49ePost:c703c027-1a9e-4b50-b0d6-1c4097af30db">Re: Your Friends...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We both have a mix of married and single friends.  Since we don't live in the same city, we haven't established mutual friends yet - although we have both met each other's friends on trips and everyone got along well.  I would like to maintain both single and married friends - I think there are good and bad points of both (as in everything).  Single friends may sometimes have an agenda that doesn't mesh with being married, and married friends sometimes tell you too much info about their relationship or try to commiserate all the time about the messed up things their man/your man has done.  I don't play that mess! <strong> My business stays between my FI and I.
    </strong>Posted by cincy2011[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you on this. Single or married...no one gets much out of me regarding my relationship. I learned it the hard way once upon a time, but the important thing is that I learned it. My mama's favorite line (and I don't even tell her our business) is <strong>"not everyone wishes you well."</strong>
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:800cc610-bd54-410e-8861-202e4259b49ePost:eaa17d45-d803-4213-8f7d-98e91af75bf8">Re: Your Friends...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your Friends... : I completely agree with you on this. Single or married...no one gets much out of me regarding my relationship. I learned it the hard way once upon a time, but the important thing is that I learned it. My mama's favorite line (and I don't even tell her our business) is "not everyone wishes you well."
    Posted by eagles347[/QUOTE]

<div>Absolutely right!  I have had friends tell me too much about their relationship and it's truly hard to stay objective and look at their DH the same way...I wasn't "hating" but I was just disappointed b/c of how my friend was being treated.  So I am not going to put anyone in that position.  Your mom definitely gave you great advice!!!  </div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have very lil' mutual married friends.  Only two couples and individually we do not have a whole lot of married friends.  I agree that I would like to have more married friends, but I also agree with Cincy that it's good to have a mix.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a mixture of both, but it seems that we hang out with our "coupled" friends more. Some are married, engaged or just dating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards