African American Weddings

Finances...

Who will control the finances once you get married?

Will you have joint accounts or seperate accounts?

For us right now, we have seperate accounts and each person has the bills that they take care of...that works for us now so I dont see that changing...

We talked about possibly creating a shared account for bills.

But we will see what happens...

So what about you ladies?
AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

Re: Finances...

• edited December 2011
    Joint account and FI will have a business account. But don't worry, I will be checking that too! lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Fi and I discussed this and we decided to have a joint account for bills and two separate accounts.  His mom's minister, who is the officiant for our wedding suggested this.  We'll see how that goes.

• TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL!!!

I dont blame you...

I know they say we (women) should have an addiltional account that the hubby wouldnt know about...I dont know if I quite agree with that.

I feel like as long as all the bills are taken care of then there shouldnt be a problem.
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• edited December 2011

We will have a joint account , to pay the bills .then both have a small personal one. I am better with money so I will be in charge of it.
  • edited December 2011
    We currently have a joint checking account and we are thinking about getting a mutual fund to help with saving for the wedding. We both will more than likely keep out individual accounts (checking and savings).
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • edited December 2011
    We will have a joint for bills and separate personal accounts and I will be in charge of paying the bills.
  • edited December 2011
    We will maintain separate accounts. But have joint checkings for bills and savings for miscellaneous stuff. And will both have at least half of our pay checks deposited in to the joint accounts.
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • edited December 2011

We will open up a joint account saving and checking account and maintain our separate accounts.  The separate accounts will act as a play account for social events, travels, and etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Joint checking account for household expenses and shared activities, joint savings account, and personal accounts for each of us for individual purchases.  We decided that we will each put $X into the joint checking account and $X into the joint savings account every two weeks.  Whatever is left over will go in our personal accounts and we can use it for what we want - we also agreed to discuss any big individual purchases with each other (i.e. flat panel TVs, treadmills, etc.) so we don't feel out of the loop.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Right now we have seperate accounts. Once we get married, we will have a joint account for bills along with a joint savings, but we will continue to keep one account seperate.
  • edited December 2011
    we are opening a joint account after the wedding. Right now he knows my pin number and vice versa. The joint is for bills and I will keep a seperate account for emegencies and my VA allotment.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    a joint account, everything joint...we will prob keep our current separate checkings open for convenience, btu merge if possible (esp if outside of US), but all salaries deposited into one account, then investing/saving from that one as well...his money is my money is his money.
  • edited December 2011
    FI really wants us to have a joint account. He's actually on my account now, but he wants that to be our primary account. I'm not sure yet if that's what I want. I kind of like having seperate checking accounts and than a joint savings account.
  • edited December 2011
    We're a bit difficult: we're doing one joint checking and savings accounts but several separate savings. We don't like keeping all of our eggs in one basket.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards