African American Weddings
Options

Has anyone had or plan go have cocktail reception?

I'm considering this option because of space constraints i have a 195 guest list but only have 145 chairs. I planned to order more chairs but the space will be very tight and there won't be a dance floor. If I do the cocktail reception, I will only do seating for 80 guests ( with 4 pinic tables on the deck) with extra tables. My menu will include passed hordourves and sationery fruit, veggie, and cheese trays for and hour along with an open bar. For the actual reception: I will have food such as fried catfish, sandwich trays, coconut shrimp, crawfish étouffée in phyllo cups, chicken stuffed tomaotoes, boudin balls, spinach artichoke dip, andfried drummettes. And of course, cake!

Thoughts ladies?
March 2013 January siggy challenge - hair inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Has anyone had or plan go have cocktail reception?

• Options
    i am a bit confused 
    are you talking about a cocktail hour? 
    or in lieu of a seated dinner reception you are thinking of having a cocktail reception 
    with finger food 

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kitad05kitad05 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_has-anyone-had-or-plan-go-have-cocktail-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a4edcc6c-fbee-4222-a79d-9f0069a28896Post:e54a448d-d47a-45ea-a034-6ae5baf3c431">Re: Has anyone had or plan go have cocktail reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i am a bit confused  are you talking about a cocktail hour?  or in lieu of a seated dinner reception you are thinking of having a cocktail reception  with finger food 
    Posted by thedivav[/QUOTE]

I apologize for not being clear. The original plan was to have a buffet with pasta, etc. now the idea is to have a "cocktail reception" , basically an extended cocktail hour. The food will be of the type that does not require a fork.
    March 2013 January siggy challenge - hair inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    are you saying doing the reception with just the passed hors deouvres? Im just a bit confused but if so,  Ive heard it done but with your spacing im not certain ....however, im always one for saving money
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_has-anyone-had-or-plan-go-have-cocktail-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a4edcc6c-fbee-4222-a79d-9f0069a28896Post:ff5eda32-bb38-4418-9e95-78519faab59b">Re: Has anyone had or plan go have cocktail reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone had or plan go have cocktail reception? : I apologize for not being clear. The original plan was to have a buffet with pasta, etc. now the idea is to have a "cocktail reception" , basically an extended cocktail hour. The food will be of the type that does not require a fork.
    Posted by kitad05[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>ooh ok got ya </div><div>i dont see any thing wrong with it </div><div>you might want to spread the word to your guest to wear comfy shoes if the majority of them will be standing </div><div>

</div>
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    yeah. I think that a cocktail reception is nice.. BUT.. I know that people still want to be able to sit.. So if you are only going to supply 80 chairs.. that will be 115 people standing.. and I think it depends on your guest list and definitely spread the word on comfy shoes..

But I do have to say... with the menu u said for your sit down reception .. I would LOVE  to have that food..

Do the guest already know the menu..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Agree with PP. 7 hours in heels would be my worry. and at some point everyone is going to want to sit.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input, Ladies. I am meeting with the caterer on Thursday and I plan to hash out the menu. 

You ladies are right for pointing out that everyone will won't to sit at some point so I think the cocktal-style reception is out.  Instead, we are just going to be very cramped for space. I'm then going to remove a few tables to make room for the dance floor. I'll be sure to place people who I know will dance at those tables and keep the chairs on the perimeter of the room.  #UGH this is my only issue left and it is a major one indeed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards