African American Weddings

Broom Question

Now that I'm only 2 months away from my wedding, I don't know if I feel like taking the time to decorate the broom we will be jumping. The broom is actually at my mom and dad's house 3 hours away and I don't know when I'll be home again in the next couple months. The broom is a decorative broom, not a regular broom used for sweeping. Right now the broom is on display without any added decorative accents or ribbon, and it has been that way ever since I can remember. Do you all think having a naked (lol) broom at the wedding will be too plain? Or will people even care? TIA!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Broom Question

• reddswifeyreddswifey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am 2 months away as well (july 25th) and i havent even got my broom yet lol. but i would hope that people wouldnt make a big fuss cause you have a naked broom. besides i thought the meaning behind it was more important than anything! GL
  • TwinsRibTwinsRib member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think they will notice... I wouldn't... I just think it is always such a great tradition and I honestly can't re-call what any of the brooms even looked like lol...
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Reddswifey & TwinsRib! A naked broom it will be because I'm not up to decorating it anymore.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm late and an oddball...I want you to decorate it! Take it to your friend who made the bouquets! :) I'm sure no one will notice if it's naked, but since you asked the question, I did want to give you my honest opinion.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    How about just wrapping the stick with pretty ribbon or fabric? Or maybe do the ribbon and a bow? Idk...just trying to think of something quick and easy.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    lmbo,eagles I'm not taking that broom to my friend who made the bouquets. I love him to death, but he's not messing up my broom. I have to use that broom lol. I really wanted to decorate the broom, but that was before I had moved the wedding date up. I honestly don't know when I'll have time to go pick up the broom since it's so far away. I would ask my mama to decorate it, but that's not her thing. Plus, I haven't asked my mom if it's ok to decorate the broom and I would kind of need her permission since it'll be going back to her house after the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Gotcha...makes much more sense now. Don't want mama pulling out switches on you and Peanut!
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
  • edited December 2011
    omg, I haven't heard about a switch in years lol. That would not be a good look to get a whooping on my wedding day. Peanut is too young for a spanking.
  • edited December 2011
    Girl, my grandma stayed talking about switches. She used to make me go outside and pick them myself, but she never used them...maybe once when I did something crazy like ran out in the street or something without looking. As a matter of fact, that was one of the two whippings I got in my life. I was still scared of them though...that word just sounds menacing. Switch...ooooh...*shutters*
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
  • TwinsRibTwinsRib member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL... I had to pick my own switches too... and my mom used them often lol... I have chosen a rolled up newspaper for my little boy... He's really doesn't like them for some reason...  He's only 18 mo tho, so all I have to do is show it to him and he straightens up... I wonder how long that will last tho lol...
  • edited December 2011
    My sis used to pick my switches lol. I kinda wish I could have picked my own, but I probably would have just been wondering around outside. My grandma used to threaten me with her switches, but she never used them. Too bad I can't say my mama used to only threaten lol.
  • edited December 2011

how much do the brooms cost and where do u find them...im a new bride to be :)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_broom-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:aa8fcec9-498f-40c5-b7bc-e62404a3ad49Post:0ab55d22-f78b-4742-84cd-eeca0ea8c0a9">Re: Broom Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]how much do the brooms cost and where do u find them...im a new bride to be :)
    Posted by reeseandmarcus[/QUOTE]

That's a good question. My mama has had the broom I'm using my entire life, so I have no idea where she got it. But I think on another post I read they have them at the Dollar Tree, but I think the ones at Dollar Tree are thin so you have to double them up.
  • edited December 2011
    I googled "wedding brooms" and saw custom ones for around $34.99, but I would think purchasing one from a craft or home goods store could result in a DIY effort for about half the cost. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...I'm not jumping so I haven't looked into this beyond an online search.

Some I saw on Google...

Hope this helps.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
  • edited December 2011
    thanks guys I searched the web and found some but like you saw it may be cheaper at a craft store.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards