African American Weddings
Options

Are weddings contagious?

Have you noticed that since you have been planning your wedding (or after you had your wedding) close friends are getting engaged?

My Matron of Honor got married at the court house and I have never heard her speak of a vow renewal and now she is thinking of having one after my wedding.

Also, one of my BM started putting pressure on her boyfriend about putting a ring on it. LOL.

What are your thoughts?

Did your FI propose after his close friends got married?
Wedding date July 7, 2012

Re: Are weddings contagious?

• Options
    I too have experienced one of my close friends putting pressure on her bf for the ring. It has gotten to the point that I don't even like talking to her about my plans because it always turns into her complaining about him not proposing yet! Sad but true:(
  • Options
    None of my FI friends are married(they all range between 28-35).  So once he announced our engagement all his friends were like WHY, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? blah blah blah....so sad.  Hopefully our marriage can be a great example to his friends who are still out clubbing and cheating on women.
  • Options
    I am among the last of my friends to get married.  So, no nothing contagious here.  LOL!  I have been with my FH forever and we watched several couples get engaged and/or married.  I was moved but he was not. But we are here now so we're cool. :)

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    Girl YES! I think I briefly mentioned this before that as soon as I officially announced my engagement and sent out our STD's here comes my jealous aunt saying she's engaged and planning a wedding 2 months before mine. I don't want to think she's trying to beat me to the altar, but our family seems to think so.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My DH and I are older (36 and 45), so we don't have a lot of friends who are getting married around us.  I do have single friends, but they are not in serious relationships.  I know one of my single friends will probably just elope and come back married. LOL The others will probably marry when the time is right for them.   
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Haha. I think they might be.  Since our wedding in June, 3 of my friends and my oldest niece are now engaged and one that was married is now pregnant.

I'm totally psyched about all of them!!!  Hopefully I will be able to make all 4 weddings.  2 are out of state and in 2012/2013. Might suck if I'm, prego though.  
  • Options
    Yea I think weddings are contagious. A few people around my FI and I are engaged and getting married in 2012. I'm like wow everyone is trying to beat us to the altar earlier in the year. Our wedding isn't until September. But 9/28/12 is the date God chose for us so we're gonna do it on God's time.
    Anniversary
  • Options

I was just telling dh that the other day about all these people want to get on the married train. One of his bm is getting married and this guy was one of the main a$$holes that had a comment about why we waited 2yrs to plan our wedding. Funny how he just got engaged and his wedding is for 2yrs.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    The group of friends FI and I hang with are all married except us and one other couple, who are getting married a month before us.  They got engaged after us but I am super siked about their wedding!  With all of these weddings in the atmosphere, I still can't believe it when I hear things like "noone gets married anymore."  All I know is married couples!  LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I haven't experienced it in my circle of associates...I'm the only one engaged ...everybody else is either single, has a boyfriend and not in a rush to get married, or they are content with being a "baby mom"...it would be nice if I had a couple of weddings planned to go to, or  "peeps" to share planning a wedding with...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel the same way now that i am engaged it seems like the world is engaged.....but I have learned not to talk about my wedding because the un engaged ppl seem a bit bitter
  • Options
    Since I have gotten engaged it seems like everyone around us is getting engaged! Some people are genuine and some I think just did it because they didn't want to be left behind. I was the first out of my friend to get engaged and one of my friend got engaged then I swear she rushed to get married before me LOL (that will be our secret). Whatever though glad me and FI can be positive influence on people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

lol! Before we got engaged, I attended several weddings with FI of his close friends and he used to comment about how great it must be to be getting married and how marriage was so wonderful, sacred, and special and he wished he were in their shoes. So hmmmmm, but our very close mutual friends who are BM and GM in our wedding just got engaged on Christmas and we're SOOOOOOOO excited for them! They've been together for a few years. They were the ones that swore up and down that me and my FI would be a couple when were only best friends. So I kinda think people that extra nudge to make it official when they see their close friends embarking into their next phase of happiness. :)

• Options
    Absolutely.  For the past two years, my crew and I have been getting hitched. First it started wtih my college best friends and then my medical school friends and now my residency/fellowship friends. It's crazy. My BFF and I became engaged exactly 6 months apart and our weddings were six months apart. My DH's friends began proposing to their girlfriends after he proposed to me. We have so many weddings to go to over the next year and most of them are destination (which is great because who doesn't want to go away on vacation). 

Black Love Rocks!
  • Options
    DH actually started the trend. We got engaged in feb 2010. On May two people we know got engaged, then my sister in June, then my cousin in October. My sister and one of the other couples actually married last year. We got married Aug 6th 2011, the other couple got married the 13th and my cousin the 27th. So yes I think weddings and babies are contagious about 10 couples we know are pregnant now. But we are at least a year away from even trying.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards