Washington-Seattle
Options

Poll - Texts from vendors

My photographer was asking on her facebook page if it was wierd to get text messages from wedding vendors. I personally liked it when I got texts from her, but it got me wondering what you guys might think. So I put out a poll.
imageimageimage
Newlywed Athlete Blog
DD Arrived 10/17/2011
2012 Races
Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59

Re: Poll - Texts from vendors

• Options
    mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted No, because I generally find texts annoying.  I would rather they email or call.
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

it depends on your relationship with the vendor. for example, jennygg and i texted often..but we became "friends" throughout the process, she was the first vendor we booked for our entire wedding and we had that relationship where it was okay.

my videog texted me when he lost the blu-ray copy of our wedding...it was really strange. i didn't even understand what he was talking about since he used jargon, so instead i panicked the whole time the phone was ringing when i called him back. that kind of situation, he definitely needed to call me. plus, me and the videog weren't super close..so i don't think a text was appropriate..

(my videog still did an awesome job, and even w/o blu-ray the quality was amazing, so i don't hold that one single text against him)

♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok, oops.  I misread (or didn't read) the question - I voted "yes" as in, "yes it would be weird", but I should have voted "no" as in: I wouldn't like it.

Well, I rarely text first of all.  In general I prefer talking to someone on the phone because texts can get confusing and with a vendor, that could be bad.  Also, I feel like it's a little too much in the 'friend' catagory.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it's just a quick thing I'd prefer a text.  I hate talking on the phone and when I'm working I can't answer but I can text.  Or email, email is great, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 65 asked to watch us make it happen
    image 51 helping us party
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it was actually my vendor that i hired, i wouldn't mind, however, the other day, i got a text from a florist saying she was not available for my date! i found it so rude! it takes ten seconds to call me and let me know the same thing! how unprofessional!
    I am like a falling star who has finally found her place next to another in a lovely constellation, where we will sparkle in the heavens forever
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I voted no. First of all, I don't have a good texting plan so I don't like to do it very often. But also, to me it's important to maintain a level of professionalism that I don't personally think is appropriate with texting. Also, texts drive me nuts because so much can get lost in translation. I would be worried that, with a text, some things could get miscommunicated/misunderstood.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree with jennlin- if you have a good relationship with a vendor, it is fine. I generally would like to do things via emails so i have proof. :) but i think if they have a quick question then its fine. :) i would prefer a text most times, i just don't have time to talk on the phone all the time.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Jennlin. :)
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think text messages for appt reminders is fine, beyond that, a little awkward. I mean unless it was a friend of a friend or someone I otherwise new, duh.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love to text, WAY more than I like to talk on the phone.  My DJ texted me one day when we were meeting up, just to verify the location, and I liked that because I was at work & wouldn't have been able to take a call.  For the most part though, I think it's not ok.  It seems so unprofessional, and like sarack said, it's better to have things in email so that you have copies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think for the most part, it's not ok. The only vendor who texted me was the florist, and that's because we were meeting that day and she was running late and knew I couldn't here well on the phone where I was at the time.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Generally, I prefer email and texts. Otherwise I have to subject all of my coworkers to my phone conversations.

Texts from vendors are okay (if not awesome) if:
    *You have hired them (the dj who friended me on facebook when I had never even contacted him irritated me)
    *You have discussed each others texting plans and preferred methods of communication. One of the planners I initially interviewed asked about that on the initial questionnaire. I thought it made a lot of sense - especially considering the many varied opinions this poll is receiving.
    *It's a quick enough thing that texting is appropriate. Complicated things should be in emails or phone calls but I would rather read a quick text than go through the rigamarole of listening to a voicemail.
    *Especially if you have forged a bond.
    *If it is someone like your planner that you're going to be talking to a lot throughout the whole process.

PS - A vendor texting you to tell you that they were booked and you could buzz off - not so classy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards