African American Weddings
Options

Are you doing your own wedding day make-up???

I am getting married at Sandals Montego Bay and I'm trying to decide if I'll pay them $70 to do my make-up or do it myself. I'm concerned that maybe I won't like the way they do it or they won't have the shades I desire/need.

Are any of you plannning to do your own make-up?

Re: Are you doing your own wedding day make-up???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I am not doing my own makeup  but have enlisted one of my BM's to do the makeup. Although another BM(who is getting married a few months before me) said "How you gon make her do the make up?" I replied "I'm not making her do anything I asked and she said that she would do it for me." That kinda aggravated me but anyway. I think if you decided to let them do ur make up u should at least bring a few products that u know will look good on you. Although if you go thru that maybe u should just do it urself if you are good a applying makeup. HTH
  • Options
    Crook251Crook251 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did my own make-up. Everyone I tried I just wasn't satisfied with! I ordered and use Luminess Airbush make-up! When I first got it I tried it and was really nervous about it. But once I got use to using the system I loved it and was happy with my facial outcome. The good thing about it is that the system is mine to keep!
    Pregnancy Ticker Married: December 19, 2009
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also getting married at a Sandals resort, but in St.Lucia. I plan on going to the MAC counter a few months early and then practice a few times on my own before hand, so that I'm confident I know what I'm doing the morning of.
  • Options
    Vanessa AVanessa A member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have an old college friend who does make-up as her "thrill" job as we call it (she's a accountant by day), but she's awesome and has done other weddings, homecomings, etc. so I'm excited about her doing mine for the wedding day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish I was gifted in the way of being able to apply make-up. I do okay for the work day or the occasional night out, but definitely not wedding day make-up. Fortunately for me though, my soror (and line sister) is a make-up artist to for several celebs and she's gifting my wedding day make-up! Such a blessing!!!!

I say try your hand at the look you know you're going for. If you get it down, great! But if not, at least you will know the look and the colors you want and you can guide the MUA at Sandals!

HTH
  • Options
    ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I can't apply makeup to save my life so I barely wear it. Good thing my friend is a makeup artist and is doing it for me! We are doing a trial run probably a week before the wedding so I can see how I photograph with the makeup. I just want to glow on that day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing my own make-up for my wedding. I like one of the pps am afraid that I won't like the results of using a MUA. I've reviewed a bunch of youtube videos and websites on wedding day makeup and have a background in applying makeup for performing arts and step shows. The one thing I've realized in my trial runs is to use primer under foundation and on eyes. This creates the optimal canvas for foundation application and when used on eyes it helps color pop and stay in place. GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I never wear makeup so there is no way I would have been able to apply it myself. But I have friends that are just as good at doing their own make up as a professional. I would just buy your wedding day make up ahead of times and do a couple of trials on yourself so you get some practice.

Or you could buy all your make up ahead of time and have the make up artist at Sandles apply it. Maybe they might even charge you less if you do it that way and then you'll know that you're getting all the shades and colors you want.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am with pp, I do good enough for the workday, but I could never do it for my wedding day! However, if you are comfortable, you can go to the MAC counter a few months in advance, do a trial, get some tips, products, etc. and pull it off in Jamaica!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only thing that I know about make up is chap stick. Is that even considered a part of make up ???? lol. Obviously, I'll be hiring someone. My fsil is a hair dresser and has a lot of friends who are actual makeup artist. So I will be meeting a few of her recommendations.

But if your worried about particular shades that you want, just bring your own specific colors. And let them try to work with those.
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

First of all, I'm too jealous of you for getting married at Sandals at Montego Bay.  That is so awesome!  I'm probably going to get a BM to do it.  I would love to get the airbrush makeup, but It cost too much.

• Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh!  I like the idea of ordering my own airbrush makeup system.  I may have to look into that.
  • Options
    KooKoo4QuincyKooKoo4Quincy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my close friends is a MUA and she's doing all of our MU. Its great to have friends in deed LOL!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also plan on going to the MAC counter, but only a couple of weeks ahead because I am getting married in August and my skin shade will change by then.
  • Options
    africandivaafricandiva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     i'm doing my own make up cus i ts just not in the budget ya know? plus since i'm getting contacts it will be alot easier to apply makeup.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having my make up done by the shop owner for where I get my hair done.. She does outstanding work with makeup and she knows that I like to look normal with just a hint of color.. If you are in Philly, just pm me and I'll send you her salon information..
    Anniversary
  • Options
    D PhillipsD Phillips member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend doing your own make-up or asking to see the work of the MUA the resort recommends.  If they do not give you some examples of their work, strongly consider being armed with make-up techniques.

If you want to be really perfect about your make-up, consider taking a class if those at the make-up counter are not helpful enough.  If you opt for a class, see if you can also have your wedding party participate too.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards