African American Weddings
Options

The Sound of Music

Not the movie, but at your wedding and reception: What songs are your planning? DJ or Band or Ipod or Other?

I'm early in the game, but I found a great Christian DJ in my area that I plan to use for my wedding & reception. He specializes in Christian music but he also plays R&B.

Here are the songs I'm considering:
Processional - The Prayer by Yolanda Adams & Donnie McClurkin
Bride Entrance - The One He Kept For Me by Maurette Brown Clark
Recessional - Spend My Life by Eric Benet & Tamia
Bridal Party Entrance - Back To Eden by Donald Lawrence
First Dance - Stay With You by John Legend
Father/Daughter Dance - Never Would Have Made It by Marvin Sapp
Mother/Son Dance - A Song For Mama by Boyz II Men
Bouquet Toss - Independent Woman by Destiny's Child
Garter Removal & Toss - Whatta Man by Salt -N- Pepa & En Vogue
Cake Cutting - All My Life by K-Ci & Jo Jo

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: The Sound of Music

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Prosessional- How Beautiful
    Soloist- The Prayer
    Recessional- Two Spirits Soar
    Reception
    Entrance- Empire State of Mind (Alicia Keys version)
    1st Dance- Very Special
    Father/Daughter Dance-  You're Nobody Until Somebody Loves You
    Cake Cutting- Latest Greatest Inspiration
    Mother/Son Dance-On the Ocean
    Final Dance- Everlove (Eric Benet)
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

"The hills are alive....with the sound of music!!!!"  I have asked the DJ to play the entire soundtrack at our wedding.  No, just kidding.  I love your songs though.  Great choices!

I cannot remember everything that we are playing.  You can check my planning bio under Music for the complete list, but here is what I remember:

Ceremony:
    Processional-a bunch of classical stuff (we are hiring two violinists)
    BP-Ave Maria or something, actually I think it's Trumpet Voluntary ( I changed it)
    Bride-Rapture by Anita Baker (played by the violinists)
    Recessional- I cannot remember, I'm sorry, because I changed it a few times but it is in the bio

Reception:
    First Dance                                            Couldn't Love You More by Sade
    Father/Daughter                                    Cinderella by S.Curtis Chapman
    Bouquet Toss                                        Single Ladies by Beyonce

Garter Toss                                           Don't Wanna Be A Playa by Joe and Big Pun

Cake Cutting                                          The Sweetest Thing by Lauryn Hill

Reception Exit Song                              Hello Goodbye by The Beatles

• Options
    TINAMMTINAMM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a Dj for the reception, Violinist for the ceremony

Canon in D, ME
    Trumpet Voluntary by Clarke for MOH and Flower girl entrance,
    Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach for the parents seating,
    Ave Marie for the sand ceremony 
    Wedding march by Mendelssohn at the end,

Entrance dont know yet
    Cake ,How sweet it is to be loved by you, James Taylor
    First Dance, Love Ballad by LTD
    Dance with our kids, For you I will, Monica

Not doing a bouquet toss or garter toss.
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring for the parents entrance too Tinamm!
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_sound-of-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b79080e4-34ba-4d06-b3c6-280510d324d9Post:f916253a-f638-4e76-8eb3-897fbf369f0f">Re: The Sound of Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]"The hills are alive....with the sound of music!!!!"  I have asked the DJ to play the entire soundtrack at our wedding.  No, just kidding.  I love your songs though.  Great choices! I cannot remember everything that we are playing.  You can check my planning bio under Music for the complete list, but here is what I remember: Ceremony: Processional-a bunch of classical stuff (we are hiring two violinists) BP-Ave Maria or something, actually I think it's Trumpet Voluntary ( I changed it) Bride-Rapture by Anita Baker (played by the violinists) Recessional- I cannot remember, I'm sorry, because I changed it a few times but it is in the bio Reception: First Dance                                            Couldn't Love You More by Sade Father/Daughter                                    Cinderella by S.Curtis Chapman Bouquet Toss                                        Single Ladies by Beyonce Garter Toss                                           Don't Wanna Be A Playa by Joe and Big Pun Cake Cutting                                          <strong>The Sweetest Thing by Lauryn Hill</strong> Reception Exit Song                              Hello Goodbye by The Beatles
    Posted by tamtam7[/QUOTE]

Tam, I might have to bite on this one!  I love your idea of Lauryn Hill's "Sweetest Thing" for the cake cutting!  Great idea!!!!!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Cincy.  I was originally going to use Sweetest Love by Robin Thicke, but my supervisor had that song as her ringtone for her ex-boyfriend, and he called all of the freakin' time, because he's worthless and has no job, so I got tired of that song.
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know Cincy, I was looking at the words of that Lauryn Hill song, and I'm not so sure about it anymore.  There's a part in the song when she says that it is so sad that it all has to end...so...I guess it's back to the Robin Thicke song.  That sucks 'cause I really like the Lauryn Hill song.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards