Washington-Seattle
Options

FMIL's dress

Okay, just got an email from FMIL with some addresses we've been waiting on and she mentioned she will be looking for a dress here soon and asked if there were any colors I wanted her to stay away from.  I'm not sure how to respond and the only thing I can think of is white or cream.  Anyone know what is the norm if there is anything that sort of says what works and what doesn't?  BMs are in a wine red dress and my mom bought a red dress.  She also mentioned looking for shoes that would look good with a dress but work for her feet (she's had some issues and needs surgery on one of them) - any suggestions? TIA!
Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
Married 7/10/10
Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
Anniversary

Re: FMIL's dress

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I cannot think of anything color wise... Sofft makes some dress shoes that are comfortable though...
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I"d just tell her your colors and say anything that goes with the colors is fine, except of course white.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hmmmm....I'd just tell her not white or cream of course. And any other color you REALLY don't want her in like red because your mom will be in red or black if you don't want black. My FMIL ended up getting a dark navy blue dress which has nothing to do with our colors (like I care) but it looks good with her skin color and she feels and looks good in the dress. Super important for her to be comfy!
    As for shoes, she really needs to wait and see what her dress will be like then take it form there.
    Steph and Brad 10-1-10

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken".
    See my bio!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs.  Does she live near you?  Would you feel comfortable helping her shop for one?  I was going to offer to go shopping with FI's mom (because my mom asked if I'd help her, so I figured we could all do it).  FI laughed though & said "You know my mom will just wear some old lady dress."  (his mom is quite a bit older than mine, so he always jokes about it).  Oh, and we're ok with the old lady dress =).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So would it be wierd if she and my mom both wore red?  Honestly, I don't know if I see her as a red wearing person - it just doesn't seem her color.  And honestly, I don't care what color she wears as long as she feels comfortable and looks good in it.  Hmm...actually, I think I'll just say no white/cream or flourescent colors just to be on the safe side, not that I think she would, but just in case?

I would help her, but she lives in Spokane and I likely won't see her until the wedding.  I'll look into the Soffts for her too.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What if she wore like a bronzish color? IF she doesn't wear red, maybe that would be a nice option.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you've already decided, but I'll still add my two cents, ;)
    I think you can mention no cream or white, but I agree, tell her to pick something that makes her feel comfortable, you want her to look beautiful!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_fmils-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:247d9a62-00ba-4cc8-bad6-2400c4588746Post:78b8bcdf-eb20-4695-b11f-23b440dce27c">Re: FMIL's dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you've already decided, but I'll still add my two cents, ;) I think you can mention no cream or white, but I agree, tell her to pick something that makes her feel comfortable, you want her to look beautiful!
    Posted by BrandyL10[/QUOTE]

Ditto. =) FWIW, I think it's a little insulting to mention flourescent colors, but I don't know your relatioship with your FMIL or her fashion sense.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto everyone. :) I don't think it would matter if she were in red, too, but don't specifically say it so she doesn't feel she has to wear it if it's not her color. What about one of those lovely goldish toned dresses? Or bronze.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards