Washington-Seattle
Options

NWR: Gluten-Free, anyone?

I have a friend getting married soon and she is gluten-free (just found out this year so it's been hard to make the switch and find stuff that tastes good).  They are going to Italy on their honeymoon (I think of all places to go, this one will be difficult to not eat gluten!) and I was going to get them some Italian-themed things for a wedding gift (I found a really beutiful cruet set).  I thought it would be nice if I could find a gift certificate to a good gluten-free bakery so they could enjoy bread with the oil and vinegar.  If anyone has any recommendations that would be wonderful!

Oh and Seattle area is probably best - they might be moving north, but I'm not sure yet.

Re: NWR: Gluten-Free, anyone?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any recs for you, but I wanted to say that I think that is a really awesome, thoughtful gift!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only GF bakery I know of is Flying Apron in Fremont, but I have heard mixed reviews, generally weighted on the bad side.

I know a few Romio's locations in Seattle have gluten free pizza dough and bread, but again, mixed reviews as to whether they're actually gf or not or if gluten somehow sneaks in.

There are a few restaurants that have a GF menu, including Z'Tejas in Bellevue.

Here's a Yelp list of places, if you want to dig through the reviews to see what might be the nicest?

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=gluten+free+bakery&ns=1&find_loc=seattle%2C+wa
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FYI - I've come across a cool magazine at PCC called "Living Without" for people with food allergies such as gluten.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the info, I'll look into some of those places.  From what I hear from her, it's really hard to find stuff that actually tastes good, especially when you've lived your whole life eating 'normal' bread.   It's just hard to switch.

jennyann - thanks :)
  • Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Great Harvest seems to be a fave among my non-gluten eating friends. 

• Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a suggestion, but I've heard there are gluten-free pastas you can buy online that are pretty good!
  • Options
    mergatormergator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flying Apron recently switched owners and revamped their recipes, and they are really GREAT now. Especially their chocolate chip cookies! YUMMERS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards